Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My contact names have disappeared

My contact names on my iPhone have disappeared in my messages and phone calls only the phone number shows?????

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 3:59 PM

5 replies

Mar 15, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Bezzie58

If with an Apple iCloud account, after confirming your iCloud online contacts are correct by logging in with your iCloud account with a browser on your computer, on your iPhone go to Settings > iCloud. Turn Contacts off for over the air syncing. If provided a prompt to save contacts locally on your iPhone, decline.

After confirming there are no contacts or no iCloud contacts available in the Contacts app on your iPhone, turn Contacts back on for over the air syncing with your iCloud account settings on your iPhone.

Aug 11, 2014 7:47 AM in response to Allan Sampson

This actually worked for me. I found the answer on a Verizon forum page of all places, but I'm glad Allan knew how to fix the issue also. I went into Settings > iCloud > turned off the Contacts button. I didn't get a message, but the button just automatically turned back on. I thought it was weird so I did it again. This time I got a message..."What would you like to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on your phone?" the choices where KEEP, DELETE, or Cancel. I chose cancel. Then I went back to my phone contacts and they were all back! YAY!! Hope this works for you!

My contact names have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.