Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent speaker pop at start/shutdown/sleep with Lexicon audio interface

Hello everyone,

I am now a few weeks into my adventure transition over to the Apple side of things. Most of it went well and with very minor struggles getting used to some quirks, err, features I consider myslef a happy customer. So much that I'm ready to replace the next general purpose Win PC in the house now with an iMac.

So I'm really right now left with 2 and a half issues. This is issue #2:

I have an older Lexicon Lambda audio interface. Surprisingly enough it seem to work just fine with the Mac and Logic Pro X. What's a problem though is that there is a pop coming from my nearfield monitors any time the computer starts up, comes back from sleep or shuts down unless I remember to turn the volume down. This happens when the USB power comes on or shuts off. This didn't happen on a Win PC.

Not sure really if it's more a hardware issue with the Lexicon or if this is something that can be addressed in Mavericks.

Thanks

Mac mini, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 7:04 PM

The Audio MIDI Setup switches the sound output from Internal to External during the startup process. That is why you hear the startup chime coming from the internal speakers and then get a thump when it switches to external.

Solutions Work arounds that I know include:

1. Sleep the Mac 24-7 (there is no need to shutdown OS X everyday)

2. Turn your External Audio Output down untill the Mac is up and running.

3. Fully startup the Mac and then turn on or power up your External Audio Device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2014 7:04 PM in response to 7enderbender

The Audio MIDI Setup switches the sound output from Internal to External during the startup process. That is why you hear the startup chime coming from the internal speakers and then get a thump when it switches to external.

Solutions Work arounds that I know include:

1. Sleep the Mac 24-7 (there is no need to shutdown OS X everyday)

2. Turn your External Audio Output down untill the Mac is up and running.

3. Fully startup the Mac and then turn on or power up your External Audio Device.

Feb 17, 2014 7:29 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. I was afraid it was something like that. So there is a good chance I may experience the same thing even when upgrading to a newer and better audio interface.

Re #1: Unfortunately, it does the same thing when coming back up from sleep. Which is actually worse because now I don't let it go to sleep at all.

Re #2: That's probably all I can do right now - just need to remember

Re #3: The Lexicon doesn't have any on/off switch and is powered via USB.

I had hoped there was some fancy terminal command line to permanently turn off the internal audio (for which I have no use). Just like I'm still looking to find a way to disable the internal Bluetooth and swap it for my external BT dongle...

Prevent speaker pop at start/shutdown/sleep with Lexicon audio interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.