Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get detailed timeline in iMovie 10...?

Spent the entire day yesterday going through discussions, various websites and videos and haven't been able to solve this one. In imovie '10 I can't display a detailed timline. It will tell me where my clips start and end, as well as the full lenth of the enitre project, but I should be able to so scroll through and see where exactly I am (minutes, seconds, milliseconds). The imovie11 suggestion to solve this exact problem was to go to preferences and change it there, but going to preferences only gives me one option: to apply slow-motion automatically. On many of the videos I saw, people were not using an exact timeline but on others, people were. Anyone know where I can find it, or am I SOL?

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 4:18 PM

I am trying to edit video of me performing (singing/playing guitar) there is no movement, so it's nice to note where songs end and begin using a time line. It's REALLY a pain that I can't see the time and have no clue where I am within a 4 hour performance track. Ugh. This would be such an easy toggle on/off feature. Why apple, WHY?!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2014 4:18 PM in response to Rickyjack

I am trying to edit video of me performing (singing/playing guitar) there is no movement, so it's nice to note where songs end and begin using a time line. It's REALLY a pain that I can't see the time and have no clue where I am within a 4 hour performance track. Ugh. This would be such an easy toggle on/off feature. Why apple, WHY?!

Feb 17, 2014 8:29 PM in response to Rickyjack

iMovie gives you the following 'numerical' data of your Project, allthough, a consumer edit.app should be based more on a simplified, 'iconized' user-interface:

User uploaded file

• selecting the clip in the timeline, highlights a grey box, telling you the length of this individual clip
  • aside the Projects title (here: test), you'll notice the overall length in min:secs
  • on top of the timeline are intervalls in min:secs
  • finally, for 'detailed' info, just push the zoom-slider to expand your timeline to see a 'magnified' timeline

Feb 17, 2014 9:14 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Guess I'm SOL... I like to use the timeline as a ruler showing the time all the way through rather than it only display total length of each individual clip. I like to have it also constantly display where exactly I'm at with my selection/scroll bar. Guess I'll just have to force my brain to readjust. Greatly appreciate the information though.

Feb 17, 2014 9:27 PM in response to Rickyjack

Rickyjack wrote:

... I like to use the timeline as a ruler showing the time all the way through …

well, there IS a (sortof) 'ruler' - the numbers on top of the Project window; plus the grey vertical lines...

What I meant with my comment about 'simplified':

video has - in most cases - no millisecond-precise 'beat' - even music doesn't have 😁

So, editing is more based on 'feeling' the right moment to cut, jump, insert, edit to the next frame.

Numbers are just for rough orientation...

OK, maybe for some 'technically', engineering documentary purposes, a 'clocked' timeline is of importance.. but, then, maybe a 14$ toy tool isn't first choice 😉

How to get detailed timeline in iMovie 10...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.