Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone recommend a good online backup program?

I'm looking for a good backup Carbonite/Cloud type backup program. I was previously using Carbonite on my PC, but recently switched to an iMac and would like to know what would work best. I have around 135-150G to backup.

thanks

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 10:19 PM

10 replies

Feb 17, 2014 10:37 PM in response to sparky2u

CrashPlan is a quite popular application to make backups.

However, apart from making a backup in CrashPlan, I also recommend you to get an external drive and make backups with Time Machine. This is the best way to get your files back in case your Mac crashes and you do not have an Internet connection near you, apart from making the process to restore data easier.

Feb 18, 2014 10:46 AM in response to sparky2u

Be aware that there are no online/cloud backup services that can backup an iPhoto Libkrary package and restore it as a working library. The volume format and permissions that are uses do not support the iPhoto Library aliases and complex associations between files in the library. So use make sure you hnave a local backup that is on a volume that is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) like a Time Machine backup setup.

OT

Feb 18, 2014 1:55 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, so when you say restore as a " Working library "are you telling me that there will be recovery of my photos, but not in a way that is usable? Will it be all mixed up out of order, or what?

Also, what about photos that are in a folder on my desktop that I have not yet migrated to iphoto?

thanks, any help and feedback is appreciated

Feb 18, 2014 2:06 PM in response to sparky2u

Caution, please: I've only used iDrive to make my _first_ backup @ 21.1 GB. It costs $24.75 per year. But I haven't had to use iDrive yet. I use it to gain security. [In my 25-year career at using Macintosh, not-once did I need a backup. Of course sparky2u, your Mileage May Vary.)

Please don't hold this against me, but I used iDrive at the salesmanship of Rush Limbaugh. :-)

Feb 18, 2014 2:53 PM in response to sparky2u

You'll have to go thru all of the folders in the library and sort out the original files from the others. If you want to backup your photos to the cloud export them out of iPhoto as Kind = Originals into folders and upload the folders of image files. You'll lose all metadata you've added, i.e. keywords, titles, etc. but will have the original files.

Can anyone recommend a good online backup program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.