Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

softwareupdate -i -a = No update to apps - system updates only

Since Mavericks, when I choose UNIX>softwareupdate -i -a in Apple remote Desktop to get clients to check for software update, they only pickup system updates, not updates for apps such as iPhoto and Pages. If I log on the computer and check for updates, they do appear and download.

Am I missing something?😕

I presume it is becuase the AppleID password is required for these updates?

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 2:06 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2014 4:40 PM in response to iheartthomas

I too have had inconsistent results because there appears to be a problem with the update cataloge in Server 3.0.3. In the end I've managed to get it working by pointing the clients to:

http://[SERVER.DOMAIN]:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowle opard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Quite right that only system updates are installed; only those things that don't require an Apple ID to install/update.

Simon

softwareupdate -i -a = No update to apps - system updates only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.