Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Not Available MacBook Pro

I let my MacBook Pro battery run down all the way watching a video. Now there are big problems. Several.

For a while I couldn't reboot or wake up the machine. With power plugged in the light was green, which is weird because it is supposed to be yellow when not charged up.

I leaned on the power button for a long while with power plugged in and then it sprang to life. Tried to boot normally several times. I attempted to restart in SAFE MODE, incorrectly at first using the space bar, then correctly using the Shift Key plus Command -V (verbose). That was a fun time watching the scrolling text upon booting.

Eventually it succeeded booting. I logged in. The fan is at full speed. The battery indicater has an X in it. "No Battery Available" The little button on the left side does not show any lights at all.

This really scares me. I think my unreplacable battery is somehow unreachable, dead, or the circuit is dead.

Oh, I forgot to say that I reset NV-RAM three times chimes with the command-option-p-r keys during one of the many reboots that I've done.

Any ideas what is happening? I'll make an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow.

I'm afraid my power supply or circuitry is bad. I don't think my battery is bad, because I use it a lot and it has not shown much degradation, and I keep an eye on these things.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 3:21 AM

Keep it charging for a while.

Reset SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

If this does not help, you have to take the computer to the Genius Bar.

4 replies

Feb 18, 2014 12:04 PM in response to BonnyDonny

Now my battery indicator shows "Service Battery"

I have a high cycle count. But this is the first time the Service Battery message has appeared. I'll take it in and ask what the reason is for "Service Battery."

Any ideas?

Battery Information: (taken while on battery power after first fresh charge post problem)

Model Information:

Serial Number: D861XXXXXXXXXXDGDLAY

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bqXXXXX51

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 406

Hardware Revision: 2

Cell Revision: 158

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 4644

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4676

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 522 <---- Because of this? Or my recent problems?

Condition: Service Battery

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 12245

May 30, 2015 9:34 AM in response to BonnyDonny

Just a suggestion Had coffee damage Macbook pro a1278 with battery X out not availble, working well on power adapter. Apple store diagnosed logic board failure. SMC reset and many other remidies tried. Finally ordered battery indicator light ($10 on ebay). You can remove base plate and simply unplug installed indicator and snap in replacement connector to see if it helps. In my case replacing the indicator light did the trick. Unfortunately actual installation is difficult, but apple store can do, once you tell them the diagnosis. Just one more thing to try before you give up.

Battery Not Available MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.