Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used an external hard drive for my backups via Time Capsule. I bought a new computer and I want to transfer all my old fonts over to the new one but when I go into the Font Library from the hard drive backup but my downloaded fonts aren't there?

I used an external hard drive to back up my computer using Time Capsule before I bought a new one. I am slowly transferring information fromt he backup to my new computer and I want to transfer over my old font book. When I go into the Font folder on the hard drive the only fonts that show up are the ones that came stock with the computer not any of the ones I have downloaded over time. Could they be downloaded somewhere else?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 5:46 AM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2014 8:13 AM in response to ElleLang

The answer to that would probably be "Yes." If you don't remember where your fonts were stored, you may want to search your backups for any of the font files you know the names to. See where that takes you.

Ideally, Font Book and other font managers will temporarily store the fonts you "installed" into the System when you run the OS. When you shut down, etc. they are removed and reloaded on restart. The permanent place fonts reside is where you saved them when or after you downloaded them. I typically create a Resources folder on the root level of the computer and place a Fonts folder there. Then I install fonts from there, and they are available to all users on that iMac.

Perhaps if you did not have that kind of a strategy, perhaps many of them are still in your Downloads folder?

I used an external hard drive for my backups via Time Capsule. I bought a new computer and I want to transfer all my old fonts over to the new one but when I go into the Font Library from the hard drive backup but my downloaded fonts aren't there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.