Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

to free space on my mac bbok i want to send my photos to the cloud or a hard drive and , still be able to see them in iphoto

to free space on my mac book i want to send my photos to..... the cloud or a hard drive and , still be able to see them in iphoto

what do i do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4, photos/ space on hard drive

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 9:48 AM

8 replies

Feb 18, 2014 9:51 AM in response to F.Y.K

Put the library on an external HD that is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored and run it from there.

Once you've copied the library to the EHD launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the EHD library to open. Confirm that it's working properly and all is well with it before deleting the library from your boot drive.

There is no cloud solution to what you want to do.

OT

Feb 18, 2014 10:02 AM in response to F.Y.K

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

LN

Feb 18, 2014 10:16 AM in response to LarryHN

fully test it

Obviously if everything works then nothing changes - and the reason the instructions specifically say to test the new location prior to deleting the original library then if a problem occurs you will know and would not delete the original one - but do it again or address the cause of the problem

LN

to free space on my mac bbok i want to send my photos to the cloud or a hard drive and , still be able to see them in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.