Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup Engine safe to remove from Login items?

I am running OS X 10.6.8. I find in Console Messages and System Log my Mac is running this constantly and repeating infinitely:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[118] (com.seagate.notificationexec.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

This is slowing my Mac down and seems to run even when the Mac is asleep. I suspect the problem is in two locations:

1.) User/Login Items includes Backup Engine which is checked to be not hidden.

IMPORTANT: Can you confirm for me this is third party and NOT part of Time Machine? On line research indicates it was installed by an old Seagate (Maxtor) external drive and is an app inherited from my previous Mini. If so, shall I uncheck it or delete it from the list?

Other Login items are: iTunes helper, Dropbox and Sophos Server

2.) In Main Library/Launch Agents there is this file: com.seagate.notificationexec.plist.

Delete it?

3) in Users Library/ Preferences there are these lines:

com.seagate.maxtormanager.plist

com.seagate.preferences.backupengine.plis

Delete either?

4) Finally in Applications there is Maxtor Manager but as long as it is not launched possibly no problem?

If I should proceed, shall I restart after each step or after completing all steps?

Many thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 10:00 AM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2014 2:46 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Thanks Eustace. One follow up: I queried Seagate about this and this is their reply:

The programs you listed have nothing to do with Time Machine.

I would recommend removing the Maxtor Manager software from the computer first.

Reboot the computer after removing the software and see what else is left on the MAC. If you do see any other software on the MAC, you can remove them afterwards and then reboot the MAC again.

The file under "User Library/Preferences: com.seagate.preferences.backupengine.plist" is our Maxtor Manager software.

Just wondering if for any reason I should delete the Log In item Backup Engine before deleting Maxtor Manager or follow Seagate's order of work and delete the app first?

Thanks again!

Feb 19, 2014 3:06 PM in response to RonS

FWIW, you do not need any software from Seagate, or any other software on an external hard drive. As long as you have it formatted correctly, it can be used directly with Time Machine or do any other backup options (such as drag 'n drop or bootable clones); there certainly is no need for their software. Whenever I purchase a new external hard drive, I immediately erase the entire drive and format it - it is then ready for use. Those softwares can easily create problems.

Feb 19, 2014 3:14 PM in response to babowa

Just to clarify, yes I know and agree. The Maxtor Manager program (which actually worked well for a few years but is now orphaned) dates from 2007 before I was using Time Machine (beginning 2010). It's a legacy issue inherited from my oprevious Mac (transferred files rather than doing a clean install). Thanks once again.

Backup Engine safe to remove from Login items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.