Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone *NOT* have the infamous 'disk eject error' with a quad-core Mac Mini?

Hi,

I'm onto my 2nd Mac Mini quad-core which kindly shows an error message when awaking from sleep: 'external disk not ejected properly' blah blah blah.

I'm trying to establish a common thread to troubleshoot the issue - I've more or less given up on Apple's customer support which insist they will fix the error for me but never do.

I'm seeing this error on quad-core machines only. Could anyone else kindly add weight to this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 11:22 AM

7 replies

Feb 18, 2014 11:34 AM in response to N H H

Sleep has the unfortunate side effect of rendering all the ports in low power mode. This makes anything that doesn't have its own power sputter when they are connected when the machine wakes up. Some non-Apple devices aren't as happy noticing the low power mode and will eject on their own accord. You are less likely to run into this problem if you have a wall powered hub that connects your devices. Apple does try with certain preferences to not spin down drives while the machine is asleep, but not every drive understands the command used.

Feb 18, 2014 11:44 AM in response to a brody

And I'm assuming your aware of the legions of posts about this issue?

So - one Mac Mini Quad-core with Mountain Lion, same error - new Mac Mini with Mavericks, same error.

The solution is to buy an external powered hub?

What really concerns me now is that my external hard drive won't even mount (it's about a month old).

Feb 18, 2014 12:02 PM in response to N H H

Are you aware this has been a problem since the 1998 release of USB?

And it not only impacts USB, but Firewire as well? I hope Thunderbolt is better, but my point is, as long as we rely on asynchronous serial connections, unpredictable power drops will always confuse drives. External drives are best for backup purposes only. I would never depend on them being my primary data source.

SCSI was better, to some extent, but improper termination can cause many issues too.

Hard drives not permanent storage systems. Better than floppy, but still prone to error.

Make at least two copies of your essential data available. Never depend on one source being able to last forever.

With several hundred different external drive manufacturers, it probably is better to go with a few simple known reliable ones such as Newertech, MacAlly GTech, Wiebetech, and LaCie, and pay attention to whether they have firmware updates to fix known issues for the Mac. Otherwise ask, what is their Mac support like. Mac OS X 10.3 had a really bad firmware problem that has periodically reared its ugly head on newer operating systems. Leave a drive connected through a system update, it becomes invisible!

Spotlight losing track of external drives is also a problem because it can also affect visibility. I find it better to depend on Find Any File for file locating.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

May help with your external drive data recovery.

Good luck!

Feb 18, 2014 12:09 PM in response to a brody

Hi,

appreciate the tips.

I'm a long-time Mac user (pre-1998, even).

I've never seen this error on any Mac I've ever used - and I've used plenty. I've also used plenty of external hard drives.

I've only seen this error on a Mac Mini, specifically, the quad-core (not the dual). And I've noticed, when scanning the discussion forums, that it seems to be a fairly recent epidemic and inclusive of supposed top-brand external hard drives.

It doesn't happen with USB 2.0 drives, only USB 3.0.

I fully appreciate the volatile nature of power, hubs, external drives and the necessity to double-back-up etc.

Feb 18, 2014 12:26 PM in response to N H H

USB3 is prone to Wifi & Bluetooth interference.

Long shot...

See if it's related to this...

It also seems to be related to later OSX versions, like 10.8.x & 10.9.x

The 2012 macs (and later apparently) (also later OSX versions on earlier Macs can do it also), not waking normally from sleep after hours being in sleep. (noted here ...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb13/022813.html#2012macswontwake

"Why 2012 iMac/2012 Mac Mini won't Wake After Hours of Sleep (Hibernates/Powers Off)")

The sleepimage file still reappears even if never slept. Delete it (hibernate off, etc) - within minutes its back.

A note on that here - http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/Chameleon_SSD_Optimizer.html

About iMac sleep...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"

http://xlr8yourmac.com/archives/sep13/091313.html#10.8.5SleepEjectTip

One user reported that the opposite worked...

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 1" and "sudo pmset standby 1"

Does anyone *NOT* have the infamous 'disk eject error' with a quad-core Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.