Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find Remote on the "tab bar" in iTunes in order to punch in my 4 digit code from iPhone (to pair and home share)?

I've already configured iTunes to share libraries at home...but I can't seem to find where to punch in the 4 digit code that is provided from my iPhone.To be honest, I am extremely frustrated at this point! Please give me an answer that will tell me WHERE exactly this "TAB BAR" is located. Of course I habve the app Remote...but where on earth do I find this to enter a code?!! Getting very annoyed.

I've seen other comments and questions exactly like mine whilst Googling for answers...but they are all answered with jibberish and cockiness. No real detail. All in all--there are NO answers and I am not a happy camper.

Thank you for your time.

~LI

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 5:03 PM

FWIW

You actually don't need a 'code' to have the remote control iTunes on a Mac. As a matter of fact, if on the remote, you are given the 4 digit code, you are already down the wrong path.

It was only after I signed out and then back in to Home Sharing on both iTunes on my computer, and my iPhone, and re-starting both was I able to get this to work.

If all the pieces are in place and working correctly, no code is needed.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Emmartinez

FWIW

You actually don't need a 'code' to have the remote control iTunes on a Mac. As a matter of fact, if on the remote, you are given the 4 digit code, you are already down the wrong path.

It was only after I signed out and then back in to Home Sharing on both iTunes on my computer, and my iPhone, and re-starting both was I able to get this to work.

If all the pieces are in place and working correctly, no code is needed.

Feb 18, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Lady_Impunity

There is no remote code to enter.

iTunes (10.0.1 or later)

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
  2. iTunes 11 or newer: Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes by going to File > Home Sharing> Turn on Home Sharing.
  3. Connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network that is connected to the local network that your Mac or PC is also connected to.
  4. Open the Remote app (software version 2.0 or later) on your mobile device.
  5. Turn on Home Sharing in the Remote Settings screen. Make sure to sign into the same Home Sharing account you used to sign in to from iTunes on your computer.

May 22, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Lady_Impunity

Hi, if you have switched on your 'Home sharing' on both itunes and your device, your device should show up in your itunes side bar and below the list of contents on ur device you will find the remote icon. click it and it will prompt you to enter the passcode. If you can't find this then

Here's what to check for:

• Lunch itunes
  • Go to Edit
  • Click preferences
  • on the General Tab, you'll noticed that 'Shared libraries' isnt checked. that's fine you will fix this.
  • Now click on Sharing Tab if u have a message about Bonjour service not running then all you need do is enable Bonjour Service on you computer.

For Windows 8 users:

• Right click 'Computer'
  • Click on 'Manage'
  • Double click 'Services and applications'
  • Double click 'Services'. This will display a list of background services/processes running on ur PC.
  • Scroll down to 'Bonjour Service' and right click.
  • Click properties. In the pop up box, change the start up type to 'AUTOMATIC'
  • click Start
  • Apply
  • close the box
  • restart pc
  • lunch itunes
  • connect itunes and device to same wifi
  • Do the 'Home Sharing' thing again and you will find all as

Sorry I have no idea where Services is located in mac or what it is called.

May 22, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Lady_Impunity

Hi, if you have switched on your 'Home sharing' on both itunes and your device, your device should show up in your itunes side bar and below the list of contents on ur device you will find the remote icon. click it and it will prompt you to enter the passcode. If you can't find this then

Here's what to check for:

• Lunch itunes
  • Go to Edit
  • Click preferences
  • on the General Tab, you'll noticed that 'Shared libraries' isnt checked. that's fine you will fix this.
  • Now click on Sharing Tab if u have a message about Bonjour service not running then all you need do is enable Bonjour Service on you computer.

For Windows 8 users:

• Right click 'Computer'
  • Click on 'Manage'
  • Double click 'Services and applications'
  • Double click 'Services'. This will display a list of background services/processes running on ur PC.
  • Scroll down to 'Bonjour Service' and right click.
  • Click properties. In the pop up box, change the start up type to 'AUTOMATIC'
  • click Start
  • Apply
  • close the box
  • restart pc
  • lunch itunes
  • connect itunes and device to same wifi
  • Do the 'Home Sharing' thing again and you will find all as i explained in my first paragraph.

Sorry I have no idea where Services is located in mac or what it is called.

Thank you.

Where do I find Remote on the "tab bar" in iTunes in order to punch in my 4 digit code from iPhone (to pair and home share)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.