Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left click isn't working in some applications

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems as I have with my magic mouse.

It's funtioning fine in most programs including chrome, however left click isn't working in mail and various other programs.

I can click on a partially hidden window to bring it to the front but once the mail window is at the front it won't let me left click on anything.

Right click still functions, and brings up a menu but I can't click to open mail.

I've got by over the past few days using keyboard shortcuts, but its a bit of a pain now!

Does anyone now how to fix this?

I have a late 2012 21.5 inch iMac.

2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5

8 GB memory

OS X 10.9.1

HELP!

Phil

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 1:55 AM

Hi,

have you installed any handwriting recognition software such as "Ink" or anything for a pen tablet? If so, try disabling them.

The problem is definitely software related.

Please let us know if this helps.

13 replies

Feb 19, 2014 12:05 AM in response to seventy one

Hi, me again.

I've deleted Chrome and it's extensions - no joy! Left click still doesn't work.

I know it's not a hardware issue because its only in certain applications that it won't work.

I haven't made any changes to the system over the past few days.

I've googled it but can't find anything of use...it's beginning to get annoying now.

I really don't want to reinstall everything as it would be a major p.i.a.

Phil

Nov 3, 2014 1:00 PM in response to apgreenow

I am experiencing the same problem i have connected two different mice and same problem left click works in most applications jam able to open them move programs around my desktop but can not close them have to force quit to close them and while some programs will not accept a left mouse click others will so not a hardware issue main programs effect are numbers messenger and pages

Aug 24, 2015 12:46 PM in response to apgreenow

I have a mid 2011 iMac updated and cleared and reinstalled in all the ways that i know but the problem that is described here persists.

Have tested with two magic mices and a trackpad and they all give me the same trouble.

I can navigate in a lot of browsers but when I enter Appstore and try to left click on for instance updates it´s completely impossible.

It´s not even possible to close App Store without using activity monitor.

The worst program is Apples own Mail - windows get stuck and it´s impossible to move or close them.

This is very frustrating and devastating for my good relation to other Apple products.

When things like this is experienced by several users and Apple don´t give any kind of guidance to solve them - do they really care?

ChristianD

Left click isn't working in some applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.