Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DPI resolution from Nikon Camera?

i'm shooting raw files and then exporting from Aperture. When I choose the jpeg format, with actual size selected, why do the Jpegs come out at only 72dpi?

These will be used both on the web, but some will go to print. Can I increase the DPI settings? How (in camera).

Is Tiff necessary? Those are some really large files.

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), running an iMac

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 3:13 PM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2014 3:28 PM in response to daikambu65

Because that tends to be the default for most images.

DPI is meaningless for most digital images nowadays, I suggest you ignore it. The only time it matters is if you send images to a brain-dead printer who insists on using the dpi instead just printing it at the size you request.

It really doesn't matter in most cases, but you can set up an export profile to set it to whatever you want.

Feb 18, 2014 3:47 PM in response to daikambu65

Short answer: the dpi is set when you decide what size you're printing at.

Long Answer: Dpi means nothing in the digital world of your computer. There are no "inches" to have "dots per..." Size is measured in pixels. That's the same on your camera. It doesn't take 10 x 8 or 6 x 4 shots. It takes shots measured in megapixels. For instance 4,000 x 3,000 is a 12 megapixel camera.

Using that example, that shot from that camera has 12 million pixels. So that's how many "Dots" there are. To decide the ratio of dots per inch, you now need to decide the "inches" part. And that's printing. Print at 10 x 8 and the dpi will be 4,000/10 or about 400 dpi. At 6 x 4 then it's 4,000/6 or 660 dpi. Work the other way: Print at 300 dpi and the resulting image will be about 13 inches on the longer side.

So, your photo as a fixed number of pixels. Changing the dimensions of the print will vary the dpi, changing the dpi will vary the dimensions of the print.

For more see http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Regards

TD

DPI resolution from Nikon Camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.