Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes move to external hard drive

I have run out of space on my 2007 Mac and have purchased an external hard drive in order to free up space on my Mac hard drive. I have moved my itunes library to the external hard drive. Before I delete the itunes library in my mac hard drive, I would like to be sure that the entire library has been moved. The problem that I can not figure out is when checking on the storage capacity of my hard drives, the mac hard drive shows 117.91 gb of audio storage and the external hard drive only shows 6.18 gb of audio storage. The descrepancy scares me. When I open the external hard drive's library, it all seems to be there. I have over 70 classical albums, plus another 70 pop/jazz/etc albums. The first time I moved itunes to the ext. hd, I just dragged the icon. The second time, I consolidated my entire itunes library into a folder and dragged that over. It didn't show any change in the external audio usage. Can some one give me advice?

iMac, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 2:48 PM

6 replies

Feb 20, 2014 2:04 PM in response to metalau

I HIGHLY suggest you keep the entire iTunes library together inside the iTunes folder.

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Copy the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder from /Music/ to the external drive.
  3. Hold Option, launch iTunes, select Choose library... and select the iTunes folder you copied to the external.
  4. You can then delete /Music/iTunes/ on the internal.

<Edited by Host>

Jan 29, 2015 7:37 AM in response to MikeChuckran

If you really moved your library as indicated in ChrisCA's post a year a go instead of moving just media (which leaves part of your library behind and still essential) as outlined in the Apple document you can trash your entire iTunes folder on the computer (personally I would always back up first, just in case).

Note, it is generally regarded good form to start your own topic when asking a question about a specific case, particularly when piggy-backing on topics a year old where new software versions may require different procedures. 🙂

iTunes move to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.