Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport configuration for Synology

I would really appreciate some help in relation to setting up my Synology Diskstation to work as a time machine disk when connecting through a separate wireless connection point to the one the Diskstation is connected. I’ve been going around in circles through my online searches and although I'm sure its something quite simple, I cannot quite work out what it is.

My current set up is as follows:

broadband connection - Virgin media superhub (V-SH) - wireless and via ethernet to powerline adapter. There are two further powerlines connected in my house, one connected to an Airport Time Capsule (ATC) and the other connected in the bedroom to an Airport Express (AE). The ATC is connected to a Canon MP970 printer and a Synology Diskstation. The wireless signals of the ATC and AE are not in reach of each other, but are both set up in the following way through Airport Utility: internet tab = connect using DCHP; wireless tab = create a wireless network (same network name/security/password); network tab = router is in bridge mode (The V-SH is also set up on a similar basis as the ATC and AE).

With this setup, when I move between the ranges of each of the wireless signals (V-SH/ATC/AE my signal throughout the house is strong, I can print to the network printer connected to the ATC from any wireless access point, and I can access the Diskstation via its IP address when connected to any access point. However, I can only back up through time machine (to the Diskstation) when I am in direct range of the ATC. When I am in range of either the V-SH or AE, I get the error message from time machine: “Backup failed – The backup disk … is not available”.

I had tried another configuration with putting the V-SH into modem mod and then attaching a further AE to it, but I had so many problems with having to reset the V-SH on a daily basis that I ended up with the above configuration.

I hope that is enough information and that someone would be kind enough to set me straight as to how I might get the time machine to back up to the Diskstation when connected through my AE.

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro 2.93GHz, 4GB

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 4:42 PM

This is important.. are you running Mavericks on the computer you are trying to use for Time Machine.

Mavericks has some new networking issues. Firstly it is now using SMB by default not AFP.. although it is supposed to automatically change over to AFP for TM backups. Unfortunately it is not going to see the Synology that way.

It is most important that you find out the actual domain of the network.. and there well could be a domain issue here.

Run Network Utilities on the computer..

Go to the Netstat screen and run a scan.

The result will look something like this.

User uploaded file

Now locate the Synology on the Map..

You want to find both its name and IP address.. but one will lead us to the other. IP address if static will be most useful. Otherwise you will need to use the name with the full domain.

So for instance my Time Capsule here is named tcgen4.local

In Mavericks the domain is vital to get the network resource to appear.

In Finder, use Go, Connect to server.

Type in the address. AFP://synologyname.local (whatever the name and whatever your domain is).

The resource should be found and you will be asked for a password.. type in that password.

Please note if the resource has a username then you type in the name

username@devicename.local

But if you have a static IP on the synology.. and I would recommend you do use a static IP then it is better to use

AFP://192.168.x.x (as an IP is explicit and as long as you don't have any messes with multiple IP ranges will work fine.

Once you have a mounted drive.. then you can setup TM again.. it might be worth doing a full reset and set it up again so you use the mounted disk as the target.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2014 4:42 PM in response to S.Sandles

This is important.. are you running Mavericks on the computer you are trying to use for Time Machine.

Mavericks has some new networking issues. Firstly it is now using SMB by default not AFP.. although it is supposed to automatically change over to AFP for TM backups. Unfortunately it is not going to see the Synology that way.

It is most important that you find out the actual domain of the network.. and there well could be a domain issue here.

Run Network Utilities on the computer..

Go to the Netstat screen and run a scan.

The result will look something like this.

User uploaded file

Now locate the Synology on the Map..

You want to find both its name and IP address.. but one will lead us to the other. IP address if static will be most useful. Otherwise you will need to use the name with the full domain.

So for instance my Time Capsule here is named tcgen4.local

In Mavericks the domain is vital to get the network resource to appear.

In Finder, use Go, Connect to server.

Type in the address. AFP://synologyname.local (whatever the name and whatever your domain is).

The resource should be found and you will be asked for a password.. type in that password.

Please note if the resource has a username then you type in the name

username@devicename.local

But if you have a static IP on the synology.. and I would recommend you do use a static IP then it is better to use

AFP://192.168.x.x (as an IP is explicit and as long as you don't have any messes with multiple IP ranges will work fine.

Once you have a mounted drive.. then you can setup TM again.. it might be worth doing a full reset and set it up again so you use the mounted disk as the target.

Feb 19, 2014 12:43 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague

Thank you so much for taking the time to put together an idiots guide on how to resolve my problem. The steps and logic were easy to follow and it worked like a dream.

I am currently studying in Uni for an MSc whilst working full time and have a young family. Recently my hard drive died and I lost a lot of my MSc work due to a lapse in my backups as a result of the issue I had with the TM connectivity. I had spent many hours tying to get this issue resolved and am so grateful for your help as I can now put this saga behind me and concentrate on my coursework and exams.

Best wishes

Airport configuration for Synology

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.