Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked sound problem - Macbook Pro

Hello everyone,

I was recently giving a presentation that involved playing a short video. In order to play the video, I had to connect a HDMI cable to the projector, followed by a soundcable. When I plugged the sound cable into the port, the sound on my mac went off completely. When I try to adjust the volume settings, it shows a locked / forbidden icon.

I have also noticed that I am not capable of playing YouTube videos for longer than 3-6 seconds before they stop. In order to continue, I would have to click on where it stopped and the video would start playing again for 3-6 seconds before automatically stopping.

This problem has also affected by ability to play videos using the QuickTime Player, I get the following message:

"The document "DSC_0024.MOV" could not be opened. An unknown error occured (-101)"

I've done some research and looked for solutions, but nothing has worked as of yet.

1) You can try plugging in a different output device to 'trip the switch' and get the audio back on. I've tried this with my own speakers and apple headphones, unfortunately it did not work. I also have not seen a red light which I hear may indicate when there is a problem with the audio output.

2) I have tried running a hardware test and everything, including the sound card and logic board appears to be working perfectly fine.

3) Using the Disk Utility app, I have tried verifying and repairing disk permissions, still to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try to solve this problem before resorting to pay money for a repair?

Please let me know, I would really appreciate it. 🙂

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 4:20 PM

1 reply

Nov 6, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Shégan

I also have this problem, sound won't play in iTunes and the song won't play as well. Youtube videos don't play, and videos in my iPhoto won't play. So there is no videos at all, no sound at all, and iTunes will not play as well. Also read some stuff about the audio jack being jammed and if so a red light will appear inside the audio jack but there is no red light on so i don't know how to fix the problem. my only guess is there is something wrong with the actual hardware of my macbook, anybody have any ideas about this?? please help! I am a film editor and i can't even use my computer anymore for my work.

Locked sound problem - Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.