Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search text iMessages by date on iPhone

(Specifically April 30 of 2013) but I text a lot so pressing "load earlier messages" isn't an option. Is there anyway I could load the messages on my computer, or is there an app that I could use to search by date? I could get them off my iphone or ipad.

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 4 (8GB)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 8:02 PM

Try using the search bar in the upper right corner of your Finder. Type in "chat transcript" and whatever the contact's name is in your phone. The results should show messages saved by date for that person!

8 replies

Sep 20, 2017 2:05 PM in response to Kamikafre

Hi,

Messages has to have been set to Save on Close to Save iMessages and other forms of Chat.

This means it needs to have been set in all the iChat and Messages versions inbetween then and now.

They are now in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive

Mine are visible by a Spotlight search (Finder is the same thing) but not so much from the app itself.

If you were not saving them they are not accessible.

User uploaded file

10:05 pm Wednesday; September 20, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Feb 19, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Opaque9381

Hi,

The iPhone (iOS Device) and the Mac will only Sync from the day that both start using the same App ID or OS X 10.8.2 whichever is the earlier.

The "Sync" as Apple calls it was different before this time.

The "Sync" is only "Display on all Devices" and does not involve anything else (if you delete a message on one device it remains on the other)

The iMessages are "pushed" at the devices that have the Apple ID or iPhone number and when the iMessages has been sent that is it.

It will not re-sync if you remove the iMessage.

I really don't use iMessages on my iPhone enough to even try "Load earlier Messages".

If you have synced (Backup) the iPhone onto the Mac using iTunes it is apparently possible to extract the messages from the Backup.

However I don't sync this way and don't know the names of the apps involved.

User uploaded file

9:06 pm Wednesday; February 19, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Search text iMessages by date on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.