Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing smtp server issue:

Suddenly not able to send mail, after hooking into client wifi for past week (only change). Keep getting an error message. Domain host has been trying to figure it out all day - no success. Could corrupt mail files be issue? Have checked and downloaded Mountain Lion updates in the meantime. Any help appreciated!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 8:23 PM

Hello,

This may not be a problem with your workstation. Ensure port 25 for SMTP is open and not being blocked by your client's firewall. Try to ping the mail server and you may try running a traceroute to the mail server as well. You might want to try accessing the mail server via Telnet and sending an email. Here is a link to the instructions on how to send an email using Telnet. This was, at one time, the only way we had to send emails and you can use it to bypass the mail client and test by a direct connection. Here is the link:

http://www.port25.com/how-to-check-an-smtp-connection-with-a-manual-telnet-sessi on-2/

Let me know if this helps. If not, I would be happy to assist you further. I have 30+ years in this area and host my own mail servers. Let me know.

Dr. Matt

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2014 8:23 PM in response to Di4007

Hello,

This may not be a problem with your workstation. Ensure port 25 for SMTP is open and not being blocked by your client's firewall. Try to ping the mail server and you may try running a traceroute to the mail server as well. You might want to try accessing the mail server via Telnet and sending an email. Here is a link to the instructions on how to send an email using Telnet. This was, at one time, the only way we had to send emails and you can use it to bypass the mail client and test by a direct connection. Here is the link:

http://www.port25.com/how-to-check-an-smtp-connection-with-a-manual-telnet-sessi on-2/

Let me know if this helps. If not, I would be happy to assist you further. I have 30+ years in this area and host my own mail servers. Let me know.

Dr. Matt

Feb 18, 2014 8:35 PM in response to Di4007

Hello,

Very good idea. by using your iphone or any other connection other than your clients Internet Access you will eliminate that as the problem. If your email sends using your iphone thren we will know that the problem exist with your client's network. It could be that they are blocking access or having a problem with their network. Try your iphone or a hotspot like Starbucks. Let me know if this works. If not I would be happy to help you further. Let me know.

Cheers,

Dr. Matt

Outgoing smtp server issue:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.