Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there anyway I can run a faster OS on my G4 Powerbook (pre Intel)?

I was very kindly given a G4 Powerbook by my uncle, but after waiting a whole year to get it I was heartbroken to realise I could not sync my iPhone 5 as it needs to run a faster OS to be able to run iTunes 11. My mum established it is a pre Intel processor which is going to make things virtually impossible and she and my other uncle have trawled for advice and instruction on the possibilty of upgrading the processor which is coming up as a big fat NO! (an occassional person seems to think you can change the whole board but most seem to think this won't work!) A new machine is not going to happen even 2nd hand we don't have the money and I was over the moon when my uncle gave me his (very) old one the only reason I have a 5 is because I saved so hard and it put together with various family members for Christmas and Birthday. If I can't upgrade the processor at all is there any other way at all I can run it on any faster OS to be able to run an updated enough iTunes to be able to sync it to my phone?

Thank you so much for your time to reply

Here's hoping! xxx 😟

PowerBook

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 8:57 PM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2014 3:37 AM in response to babyjarr

The path to upgrade to a later OS X requires a different build series intel-based architecture and a few companies offer used repaired guaranteed models, older yet still serviceable Apple portables, some also have desktops. Parcel costs vary.

And to reach the newer App Store, iTunes Store, Mac App Store, etc you'd need to get Snow Leopard OS X 10.6(.8) on DVD, or a computer model such as MacBook 13-inch Late 2009 that shipped with 10.6, and included a system install-restore disc. The original packaged applications would likely not be available, in a used or refurbished third-party computer, usually the as-shipped OS X system in basic form.

A MacBook from 2006 can run Snow Leopard 10.6(.8) but any included software would be older than that; so the retail DVD for 10.6 from Apple costs about $20. before shipping. Older MB models have a ceiling on what OS X versions they can use, based on hardware limitation and age.

Depending on where you are located, you could probably get a fair deal on a repaired used MacBook for around $350 or so, plus shipping. And extra fees, taxes, duty, when shipped to another country. wegenermedia has some intel-based macbooks and options for a fair price; they repair too.

otherworldcomputing

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets

wegenermedia

http://shop.wegenermedia.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9

An intel-based Mini with at least 2 or 4GB RAM and OS X 10.6.8 could likely be OK, depending on cost and whatever was included with it. And be sure it is not a powerPC old model. Some persons still want those older PowerPC G4 macs, ibooks, powermac, powerbooks, etc. But they won't connect with iPhone, etc.

Hopefully you can get the iPhone 5 to directly get apps and updates without a computer. Not sure if an Apple Store would be able to help you figure out how to go online and upgrade or update, get Apps, etc without a computer. If you have a real Store you could ask. They may have a genius, maybe even some free help?

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Is there anyway I can run a faster OS on my G4 Powerbook (pre Intel)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.