Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes wont show my devices except my 6 year old ipod nano?

Iv tried reinstalling itunes, checking my drivers were up to date, buying a new usb cabel "from an apple store" and YES iv made sure my iphone/ipad is unlocked and hit trust this computer. i have an iphone 4s, iphone 4 and i also just bought an ipad air yesterday and that wont even show up in itunes!

after trying everything i could think of i found my old ipod nano and for some reason that shows up!

im running windows 8.1

i have the latest itunes

my laptop is an alienware 14.

can someone help me or do i just have to wait for the next itunes update to see if that works.

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 8:50 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2014 9:03 PM in response to tobyhewzie

If it's an old enough nano, then it won't be using Apple Mobile Device Support to connect to iTunes. So, that suggests the problem may be with your Apple Mobile Device Support.

So let's try swapping your AMDS out.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi (or AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi) to do a standalone AMDS install.

(If it offers you the choice to remove or repair, choose "Remove", and if the uninstall goes through successfully, see if you can reinstall by doubleclicking the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi again.)

If the uninstall/reinstall goes through okay, do you now get recognition with your other devices?

Feb 21, 2014 11:10 AM in response to b noir

Thank you very much b noir, this solved my problem.

iTunes prompted for an update and I selected yes. I didn't expect it would close the software without notice, and it did while my iPad was syncing so I figured something went bad there. Re-installing iTunes didn't solve the issue but your instructions did.

Now I don't have to go through the trouble of copying my videos to another computer to sync with the iPad 🙂

itunes wont show my devices except my 6 year old ipod nano?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.