Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2007 MacBook Pro 17" lost all sound and gets hot!!

So my late 2007 17" MacBook Pro has been acting up. Not only has it been slow but also...

1. It gets really hot! Fans running at 6000 rpm according to IStat Pro and fan control is not helping.

2. It crashes. Every time I try to edit video or do photoshop, the fans start blowing, it gets hot, freezes and crashes very quickly.

3. All my sound is gone. I get the Apple chime when I start it up, but my music and any video online gives me no sound.

4. Once in a while I get a distorted line across my screen.

Any ideas what could be my problem? I downloaded SMART Utility and it told me my hard drive is failing. So I'm in the midst of replacing it. However I doubt that will solve all my problems. Or will it?

I also discovered that one way to regain the sound I would just have to reset my PRAM, which I did and it didn't solve anything. Therefore I found that it could be that my logic board backup battery is dead? How do I know for sure?

Any other thoughts?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Late 2007 MacBook Pro 17"

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 9:13 PM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2014 10:30 PM in response to Dantany24

When I read "crash," "distorted line across my screen," "it gets really hot," and "2007 17" MacBook Pro," the first thing that comes to mind is logic/graphics board. Visit your local Apple Store, and see if they can validate this suspicion or not. The SMART utility reading usually precedes a drive failure, but it's hard to conclude what's happening here.

In the meantime, make sure you're completely backed up. If you don't back up, purchase an external HD, and back up with SuperDuper. Preserve your machine by running things at lower temperatures (under 160•F), and keep an eye on iStat.

Oh, and tell us the problem when you know.

Late 2007 MacBook Pro 17" lost all sound and gets hot!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.