Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers 3.1 Has no Edit> Fill> up/down/left/right Command?!

Tell me I'm missing something here. Did Apple in their great wisdom just hobble yet another iWork feature?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Wacom tablet, Dell 27" U2713HM,

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 9:44 PM

Hi WEP,

It's now in the Table menu.. Select the cells you want to fill and Menu > Table > Autofill Cells.

User uploaded file

Or

Hover the cursor on a cell border. The yellow Fill handle appears in the center of that border.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies

Feb 21, 2014 11:23 AM in response to Yellowbox

I do not know how to assign a keyboard shortcut to a menu command that doesn't already have one (or even how to change one in Numbers 3).

Hi Ian & wideEyedPupil,

I don't know about assigning a keyboard shortcut where already one exists (because it might create a conflict) but it is not hard to assign a keyboard shortcut to just about any menu item in any Mac app that doesn't already have one assigned.

Fire up Automator, create a new Service, drag a Run AppleScript action into the right pane (set it to receives 'no input', paste a "GUI" script into the action, and save the service in your Library > Services folder. Then assign a keyboard shortcut to the newly created service in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

The script that would go in the service for Autofill Down (replacing all the default code that Automator suggests) would be this:

--http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/uiscripting/index.html

my do_submenu("Numbers", "Table", "Autofill Cells", "Autofill Down")

on do_submenu(app_name, menu_name, menu_item, submenu_item)

try

tell applicationapp_name

activate

end tell

tell application "System Events"

tell process app_name

tell menu bar 1

tell menu bar itemmenu_name

tell menu menu_name

tell menu item menu_item

tell menu menu_item

clickmenu itemsubmenu_item

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

return true

on error error_message

return false

end try

end do_submenu

Too easy!

SG

Feb 22, 2014 9:17 PM in response to SGIII

Easier way to assign a shortcut is Apple Menu> System Prefs… choose the Keyboard Tab and then the Shortcuts Panel then from the left hand list chhose bottom item App Shortcuts. The it's just a matter of typing in the menu item, in this case "Autofill Down" and assign a shortcut Key combo.

THe shortcut will now appear in the Menu like a standard Application shortcut.

You can use either ellipse or three 'periods' for "…" and the only time I've had trouble is when a developer is ignorant of shortcuts on OS X enough to have submenus with the same Menu Item names in two different menus (eg> Edit> Fill> Down and Transform> Move> Down in which case it just grabs the first one I think from memory (or the one you don't want according to Murphy's law). In which case the script above would be essential.

Numbers 3.1 Has no Edit> Fill> up/down/left/right Command?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.