7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 4:20 PM by wideEyedPupil
wideEyedPupil Level 2 Level 2 (360 points)

Tell me I'm missing something here. Did Apple in their great wisdom just hobble yet another iWork feature?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Wacom tablet, Dell 27" U2713HM,
  • Yellowbox Level 5 Level 5 (7,850 points)

Hi WEP,

It's now in the Table menu.. Select the cells you want to fill and Menu > Table > Autofill Cells.

Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 4.41.42 pm.png

Or

Hover the cursor on a cell border. The yellow Fill handle appears in the center of that border.

Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 4.39.14 pm.png

Regards,

Ian.

• wideEyedPupil Level 2 Level 2 (360 points)

Thanks YellowBox, one of my favorite trees BTW is the E. melliodora :-)

The yellow circle drag is quite good, iOS inspired I guess but I prefer to assign a shortcut.

• Yellowbox Level 5 Level 5 (7,850 points)

Yes, and melliodora is native to my region of Australia.

iOS inspired Numbers 3 seems to be the way we are heading. I do not know how to assign a keyboard shortcut to a menu command that doesn't already have one (or even how to change one in Numbers 3). Maybe you could post a new question.

Regards,

Ian

• SGIII Level 5 Level 5 (6,830 points)

I do not know how to assign a keyboard shortcut to a menu command that doesn't already have one (or even how to change one in Numbers 3).

Hi Ian & wideEyedPupil,

I don't know about assigning a keyboard shortcut where already one exists (because it might create a conflict) but it is not hard to assign a keyboard shortcut to just about any menu item in any Mac app that doesn't already have one assigned.

Fire up Automator, create a new Service, drag a Run AppleScript action into the right pane (set it to receives 'no input', paste a "GUI" script into the action, and save the service in your Library > Services folder. Then assign a keyboard shortcut to the newly created service in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

The script that would go in the service for Autofill Down (replacing all the default code that Automator suggests) would be this:

--http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/uiscripting/index.html

my do_submenu("Numbers", "Table", "Autofill Cells", "Autofill Down")

on do_submenu(app_name, menu_name, menu_item, submenu_item)

try

tell application app_name

activate

end tell

tell application "System Events"

tell process app_name

tell menu bar 1

tell menu bar item menu_name

tell menu menu_name

tell menu item menu_item

tell menu menu_item

click menu item submenu_item

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

return true

on error error_message

return false

end try

end do_submenu

Too easy!

SG

Easier way to assign a shortcut is Apple Menu> System Prefs… choose the Keyboard Tab and then the Shortcuts Panel then from the left hand list chhose bottom item App Shortcuts. The it's just a matter of typing in the menu item, in this case "Autofill Down" and assign a shortcut Key combo.

THe shortcut will now appear in the Menu like a standard Application shortcut.

You can use either ellipse or three 'periods' for "…" and the only time I've had trouble is when a developer is ignorant of shortcuts on OS X enough to have submenus with the same Menu Item names in two different menus (eg> Edit> Fill> Down and Transform> Move> Down in which case it just grabs the first one I think from memory (or the one you don't want according to Murphy's law). In which case the script above would be essential.

• SGIII Level 5 Level 5 (6,830 points)

Thanks for that tip. Even easier!  It should work in most cases, though, with both methods, mysterious conflicts can arise from inadvertently assigning the same keyboard shortcut to do double or triple duty, etc.

SG

True. Always pays to check the shortcut in the Application first to see what happens, although it can be a context sensative menu item and be hidden when one tries. Fortuately complex apps like Adobe CS/CC that tend to have dozens of shortcuts manage shortcuts internally and autodetect conflicts.