Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you stream IMac 2007 to AppleTV?

I'm trying to send my IMac 2007 display over to the new AppleTV 3rd generation that we just bought. Is this possible?

Thanks in advace for your comments!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 1:48 AM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2014 4:21 AM in response to eborsell

from Apple docs:

Requirements for AirPlay in OS X

User uploaded file

An Apple TV;

A supported MacAirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring::

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Dec 27, 2014 10:54 AM in response to DonH49

For a long time, my dad's iMac 2007 (running under some old intermediate Mac OS X) was successfully AirPlaying to an AppleTV. It was actually running smoothly, and we could see videos on webpages.

But when I upgraded it to Mavericks, the AirPlay feature disappeared.

(iMac mid-2007 happens to be the oldest Mac that still suppots Mavericks/Yosemite). I guess Apple started enforcing the minimum system requirements, even though the 2007 iMac certainly definitely had the graphical horsepower to successfully AirPlay to the AppleTV. Maybe because the older laptops didn't have the graphical horsepower, but the desktop does. Yes, it was a 2007 iMac, and yes, it was Apple's AirPlay rather than AirParrot or other third party app.

How do you stream IMac 2007 to AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.