Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Host Video Rendering Error -50

Dear Users of Compressor 4.1,

I have been having this error now for the last few days, and have read many forum entries on the topic, but now I turn to you for help.

The Problem

I get the error "Host Video Rendering Error -50" when compressing hour-long FCPX projects. I am "sending to compressor" from FCPX and compressing into h264. The media is simply very long h264 video files and AAC audio - there are not lots of little clips which seem to have been giving this error to other folks.

I have not been able to export a single file successfully since upgrading to the latest version of compressor last night (4.1.1 - before that it was working fine with 4.1.0).

I have "trashed my preferences" using Preference Manager; I have been able to successfully export files immediately as a Master File (although the quality looks terrible - I was going to write another post about that!), and to be honest I am nearly at my wits end, because I am already over deadline!

Any ideas are most appreciated.

Thank you.

Jason.

Mid 2010 Mac Pro

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB Ram

OS X 10.9.1

Any other information you need please just ask.

Compressor, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 3:47 AM

19 replies

Feb 19, 2014 4:10 AM in response to jaserius

User uploaded file

This is a picture of the horrible error messages I have been receiving.

PS Does anybody know if one must still change to original media before exporting to other programmes such as Compressor in FCPX 10.1 in order to export original-quality - as opposed to proxy-quality - files?

PPS Could part of the problem be that qmasterd is never responding among my applications?

User uploaded file

Feb 19, 2014 5:47 AM in response to jaserius

Hi Jaserius, no need to ever remove your preferences 😕. I'd hazard guess based on your "fcpx-send to compressor" pipeline that it's possible the "-50" quicktime error is due to some object used in the FCPX primary storyline or subordinates.

The underwear of this workflow relies on access of prerendering of the objects into a transient objects that is addressed by the object finally passed to compressor.app. Could be other errors as well.. so bypass this by...and see if theres' any source elements causing the -50 error.

TRY THIS (and it's been posted many times in these forums) to see if you make any further progress by

1. in FCPX.app 10.1:
    • completley RENDER OUT your storyline (project).. Render All (cntl+shift+R)..
    • monitor its progress in backgroun (+9) ..wait until its ALL rendered
    • WATCH for ANY errors
    • watch promsrderer in the BG as well and have a cuppa while you wait
    • any errors.. then work with that failing element or object where it fails in FCPX
  2. in FCPX.app V10.1
    • SHARE/ export a NEW MASTER in Progres422 (+E) or the DEFAULT PRORES codec you used and save into a transient AREA (my_master.mov)
    • this should be quick because its rendered already unless yu used another
    • any errors.. then work with that failing element or object where it fails in FCPX
    • use QT player and playout/scrub the MASTER if you can.. once os enough to see ahts it's intact
    • so far the MASTER is ok.
  3. now in fire up Compressor.app V4.1: create your distribution
    • add the MASTER.move from step 2
    • use your favourite distribution setting and location
    • DON'T use a cluster .. just use "This Computer".. kepe it simple. wait until you get a clean run
    • submit (+b) the job
    • monitor the outcome, (Active or use Share Monitor.app if you like -
  4. IF you encounter errors in Compressor.app , please post them back from ~/logs/compressor or system.log (Console.app)

Post other errors (no screen shots if there's text logs) for others to see.

Warwick

Hong Kong

Feb 19, 2014 11:09 AM in response to Warwick Teale

Dear Warwick,

Nice to meet you, I have read some of your responses already to Compressor issues, especially the latest version!

Please forgive me, I am not the best with computers so I need to ask a few questions along the way.

1) Firstly, if I edited with proxy media, does it make any difference if I render within fcpx? Or should I switch to original media before rendering?

2) I have just now tried to render, and strangely, I can't seem to. Normally, when one renders, the orange fuzzy line comes up above the timeline until a whole section is rendered. Well, on mine there is nothing.

User uploaded file

3) What is promsrdrer? Again, I apologise.

--

So, at this stage I cannot complete step one because I cannot render!!! I don't know why - I am guessing it's because I am in proxy mode? Or my video is very simple (as you can see from the screen-shot, my whole hour-long video only consists of two or three elements - two video files and some synchronised audio).

Best regards and sincere thanks,

Jason.

Feb 19, 2014 11:59 AM in response to jaserius

Maybe you should approach this a different way. Create a new library, add a small clip to the event from some folder like ~/Movies , add it to the timeline then send to Compressor, then submit to This Computer. Do you still get the -50 error?

If you do, do the standard remove ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor, restart, then try again. If you dont get the error, whats different about this project? File location? Permissions?

If you are in a pinch, in FCP you can add a Compressor setting as a share destination, then just share to that. Here is a quick video I made in case you dont know what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQsmsaOZMXE

Excuse the low production value. 😝 Anyways, Send to Compressor is slow. If you look at activity monitor you will see Final Cut, ProMSRendererTool, and compressord using a lot of CPU. Not sure there is any benefit unless you want to make additional tweaks when in Compressor.

Feb 19, 2014 7:04 PM in response to jaserius

Hi Jason, thanks for posting back your status. (NEVER apologise for asking mate! If we did we'd always be on our knees lol 😁).

1) Firstly, if I edited with proxy media, does it make any difference if I render within fcpx? Or should I switch to original media before rendering?

This FCPX workflow should not make any difference to the rendering procedure. The use of a proxy is to reduce the load on the application resources so it's not slow trying to deal with large files (i/o and memory resources). By default the final FCPX BG RENDERING will utilise either the original SOURCE or the PRORES4xx, depending on how your Project is setup.

2) I have just now tried to render, and strangely, I can't seem to. Normally, when one renders, the orange fuzzy line comes up above the timeline until a whole section is rendered. Well, on mine there is nothing.

User uploaded file

In FCPX, it's likely that it's ALREADY RENDERED. To check this in FCPX 10.1.x:

1. again simply +9 (make the background task pane visible)
  2. select the entire Primary story line (+a) of the project (Term 1 Week 3)
  3. press shift+control+R (Render All Selected) etc
  4. watch the pane in step 1. If there's no actovity then i'd expect it to be rendered.

Orange fuzzy line: This is the Background Render Indicator in the FCPX Timeline pane that indicating that that part of the project requires rendering. It's not always unless theres some kind of effect or addition (retime etc etc etc) to the basic content. Thus if it's not there in that Storyline then your project is rendered I'd expect!

3) What is promsrdrer? Again, I apologise.

Whoops, this is a typo error by me. Should be PROMSRENDERER. It used to perform the actual rendering using several instances (subtasks) however I'll stand corrected. For us, It was also and observation/ a measure of the time taken to prepare an EXPORT or a "send to" or a BG render in FCPX.

However I've noticed in FCPX 10.1 (Dec 2013) that it doesn't show up. Instead the FCPX (final cut Pro) application now appears as the one actually being measured that is rendering.

So, at this stage I cannot complete step one because I cannot render!!! I don't know why - I am guessing it's because I am in proxy mode? Or my video is very simple (as you can see from the screen-shot, my whole hour-long video only consists of two or three elements - two video files and some synchronised audio).

As above you've proabaly already rendered your project. Sounds good. SO I'd propose if you want to try the remainder of the steps to make a master then use that as the source for Compressor.app.. the original issue 😉

I'm sure others on this forum will also provide helpful advice.

Post your results for others to see.

Warwick

Hong Kong

Feb 19, 2014 8:10 PM in response to AnonimaKontonWTF

Dear Anonima,

Thank you for your assistance with this issue, which I'm sure many others must surely be having around the world!

Since I wrote this last night, I have begun exporting another batch of files off my laptop, which previously I had not been using because it has much less Ram. Funnily, I have gotten the same error message, but only with certain files. Others have worked. Therefore, I think the problem is not in the computer I am using nor in the compressor preferences etc, but something to do with the project itself... Thus:

If you dont get the error, whats different about this project? File location? Permissions?

is the 100 dollar question!

Location? The files which worked were in the same location as those two which didn't.

Permissions? Unfortunately I do not know what this means...

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Does it affect compressor if I export too many files at once? Will it crash if I say batch compress 10 hour-long HD movies in the one go?

--

Thank you for your tip about the share destination. I did not actually know about that. I am exporting my first file with this method now, and to be honest, it does seem to be much quicker. I will let you know how it goes.

--

Warwick, I appreciate your input from Hong Kong! I am just waiting to test out your advice (exporting master file) before I write my response to you. Be in touch again shortly!

--

Wishing everybody a happy day of editing and compressing from sunny Australia.

Feb 19, 2014 9:03 PM in response to jaserius

Dear Anonima,

My export using the compressor settings "share destination" just completed.

Unfortunately the quality is not nearly as good as using the same settings with compressor.

Compare this (share destination):

User uploaded file

With this (exported with compressor):

User uploaded file

I hope those images are big enough for you to see the difference...

Has FCPX just simply exported the proxy media that I was editing with?

Best regards,

Jason.

Feb 19, 2014 9:18 PM in response to jaserius

Hi Jason, the quality should be identical either the FCPX-> send-compressor or FCPX-MASTER then CoMPRESSOR batch if you used the same source and the exact same ENCODING settings. (sharing destination" is merely a trancoding setting.

so.. is your origibnal issue with the "QT -50 error" stilll manifesting itself (still buggered?).

remember to view the compressor.app logs and system.log (use Console.app) to see whats happened rather than rely on UI.

HTH

w

Feb 19, 2014 11:04 PM in response to jaserius

jaserius wrote:

Dear Anonima,

My export using the compressor settings "share destination" just completed.

Unfortunately the quality is not nearly as good as using the same settings with compressor.

Compare this (share destination):

User uploaded file

With this (exported with compressor):

User uploaded file

I hope those images are big enough for you to see the difference...

Has FCPX just simply exported the proxy media that I was editing with?

Best regards,

Jason.

If you are using the same setting the quality should be the same. Are you changing the values in some way? I just did a test to verify it. Created a QuickTime setting, using H.264, and the defaults on everything else. From FCP I did Send to Compressor, and used the same setting from Share - Compressor Settings. Brought them both back into FCP to do a diff, and the files are same. So maybe you are doing something extra when you are sending to Compressor? Upping the bit rate or frame controls? There shouldn't really be any difference, assuming the setting is the same.

Feb 19, 2014 11:15 PM in response to jaserius

jaserius wrote:

Since I wrote this last night, I have begun exporting another batch of files off my laptop, which previously I had not been using because it has much less Ram. Funnily, I have gotten the same error message, but only with certain files. Others have worked. Therefore, I think the problem is not in the computer I am using nor in the compressor preferences etc, but something to do with the project itself... Thus:

If you dont get the error, whats different about this project? File location? Permissions?

is the 100 dollar question!

Location? The files which worked were in the same location as those two which didn't.

Permissions? Unfortunately I do not know what this means...

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Does it affect compressor if I export too many files at once? Will it crash if I say batch compress 10 hour-long HD movies in the one go?

It might be something in the project. If you did the same test on your laptop, where is the location? Are you switching a drive between the machines or manually copying the library over?

One way to narrow it down...does it happen at all if you create a project from scratch, or is it only existing projects?

And 10 batches in a row shouldn't matter. I have had many times more than thatin my queue running day after day.

Feb 19, 2014 11:56 PM in response to Warwick Teale

Dear Warwick,

1) I just realised that when I delete the render files, and then immediately select the entire timeline, and then select "render all", there is no activity at all in the background monitor. Could this point to part of the problem?

2) I just attempted exporting the file as a masterfile. When I did it selecting proxy media, it worked, but looked terrible (i.e. like a proxy video).

However, when I did it with original media selected, it simply did not get past frame 0.

User uploaded file

3) I never knew about console. Thank you for introducing it to me. From it, I have found the error message that occured on it when I last exported, from the system log:

20/02/2014 12:50:25.060 am ProMSRendererTool[2430]: An instance 0x7ff3fb79cc20 of class FFBackgroundTaskQueue was deallocated while key value observers were still registered with it. Observation info was leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:

<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x7ff3fb1c0870> (

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x7ff3fb1c09a0: Observer: 0x1104a72c0, Key path: inLowOverheadMode, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x10fea4ee1, Property: 0x7ff3fb1c0840>

)

If it is not a security problem to paste more information from the logs I would be more than happy to do so.

Best regards,

Jason.

Feb 20, 2014 1:31 AM in response to jaserius

jaserius wrote:

I simply copied and pasted the same custom settings...

It definitely couldn't just be using proxy media if I have that selected in the viewer?

I just tried it for giggles and I didnt have that error. It will be hard to see without seeing the project. If you get that error with a small project, you can email it to me or post it some where. Or export as XML and send/post that. I can then see what the project looks like. anonimakontonWTF NOSPAM @gmail.com

BTW, do you see this with new projects, or only projects that were maybe upgraded from a previous version?

Feb 23, 2014 8:23 PM in response to jaserius

Hi Jason, if you haven't resolved this issue, then

1. I'd suggest you focus your efforts on the SOURCE objects you have use din FCPX that you have used in the FCPX "export of the master file" that you have posted here. The "-1" is simply a common "Quicktime Error -1" error whinging that there is an issue with an "Export" operation (similar to QT -50 error). NOthing to do with Compressor.app at this stage.
    • You certainly have some issue with a source element or component that COULD be corrupt or a REFERENCE to that or others that is also corrupt. Tomy knowledge, sadly FCPX does not make its errors openly and verbosely availably in a log. Note that these errors were common in early releases of FCPX 10.0.x. and were resolved through maintenance updates..
    • From memory you might like to search the FCPX forums for 2012 and this errors is likely there by many people. So I'd focus on your ORIGINAL Source elements. In FCPX, YOU might try to use "binary search" trial and error to resource the primary story line to smaller components until you can determine which source elements are causing the issue.
  2. THE following log item is obviously related to ProMSrenderer component failure. However it is unhelpful in this context without a partial or full dump to see what the addresses reference... for these purposes probably a distratcion

20/02/2014 12:50:25.060 am ProMSRendererTool[2430]: An instance 0x7ff3fb79cc20 of class FFBackgroundTaskQueue was deallocated while key value observers were still registered with it. Observation info was leaked, and may even become mistakenly attached to some other object. Set a breakpoint on NSKVODeallocateBreak to stop here in the debugger. Here's the current observation info:

<NSKeyValueObservationInfo 0x7ff3fb1c0870> (

<NSKeyValueObservance 0x7ff3fb1c09a0: Observer: 0x1104a72c0, Key path: inLowOverheadMode, Options: <New: NO, Old: NO, Prior: NO> Context: 0x10fea4ee1, Property: 0x7ff3fb1c0840>

)

If it is not a security problem to paste more information from the logs I would be more than happy to do so.

Best regards,

Jason.

As you've already tried, see if you might persist in using the NON-PROXY elements in the FCPX project and determine if you can make a sucessful EXPORT of a MASTER. I'd suggest then you will be able to use Compressor.app V4.1.1 to make you distirbution.

Post your results for others to see

Warwick

Hong Kong

Host Video Rendering Error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.