Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I spilt some water (mixed with fresh lemon juice) on my laptop.

There was not a lot of water left, and it went mainly on my keyboard and trackpad.

I immediately turned my laptop off, while the laptop did not show a sign of being affected by the water (freezing, weird screen picture...).

I then dried it off with a towl, before placing it on a heater for around an hour.

My laptop works just as before, although I am wondering could there be any possible future damage such as rusting?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), It is a new laptop.

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 4:27 AM

4 replies

Feb 19, 2014 4:33 AM in response to EstellaDL

Corrosion will be your worst enemy. You may get away with using your computer for a certain amount of time but, at some point, an electrical shortage or corrosion is going to give you problems.

Since Apple has liquid sensors all around the MacBook Pro, you probably don't want the sticker shock that you would suffer if you take it in to have any problems fixed. I would simply advise to keep an eye on things and, if problems develop, chalk it up to the corrosions/shortages and save your money for another computer.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 19, 2014 4:35 AM in response to EstellaDL

Oh boy... this is not a good thing. Water is bad enough and often results in corrosion. The lemon juice is very acidic and will just make things worse. A lot of times the computer seems ok for awhile and then the problems start. Either you get VERY lucky and it keeps working or you take it in where they're probably going to tell you that you need a lot of new parts.

Sorry... there's just no good news.

Feb 19, 2014 6:19 AM in response to EstellaDL

Following up on the good advice and bad news you've already gotten, when things stop working won't be up to you, and you may have little or no warning. While the focus has been on your hardware, when your Mac quits, you may also lose all your software and, even worse, your files.

So it's essential that you back everything up on an external drive, preferably making a bootable clone, and do it now. If the cost of repair gets close to a replacement, you'll be able to migrate your files, software, and current personalization to the new Mac, which is a lot easier than having to start from scratch.

I spilt some water (mixed with fresh lemon juice) on my laptop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.