Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sd card slot malfunction

Hello,

I'm encountereing the problem in my imac mid 2011 21 inch since updating to Mavericks. I've even tried making a new user and trying from threre, but its the same. Only thing thats remaining is the clean install option. But thats time consuming and since I'm a bit busy, I cant do it immediately. I'll post its result when I do it.

For now the only solution that works for me is accessing the sd card from Windows 8 running in Parallels. But thats not the way its supposed to work.

Meanwhile here is the feedback i left to Apple.

Hi,

Ever since updating to Mavericks, I can no longer format cards in the sd card slot. I've tried sd, micro sd with adapters, and capacities of 4, 8 and 16 Gb. In most cards i can read the contents, e.g. photos etc. In some (4 Gb one) I can even delete stuff and make folders - i.e modify contents, but in all the cases i'm unable to format. I've tried the following methods-

1.Disk Utility

2.Terminal

3.Apps

In all the cases I've failed.

I've even tested the cards in other devices (including Raspberry PI, Digital Camera, Mobile phones and 2 windows laptops- a sony and dell). They work fine there.

I've also cleaned the slot by blowing air, tried various methods like slightly removing card, inserting with a little pressure, restarted with the cards inside but its the same.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 8:56 AM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2014 10:03 AM in response to a brody

Yes. I do have the developer account and left feedback there too. Thanks.

The cards are visible as "APPLE SD Card Reader Media" and the partition under it in Disk Utility. The Erase and Partition tabs are greyed out. So are the Verify Disk Permission, Repair Disk Permisisons and Repair Disk buttons.

The verify Disk leads to this

Verifying volume “Untitled”Checking file system** /dev/disk6s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Free space in FSInfo block (-1) not correct (41033)

Fix? no

184 files, 1313056 KiB free (41033 clusters)

Sd card slot malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.