Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I only have a few loops available?

Why do I only have a few loops available? I had all of them before my recent OS reinstall. How do I get them back, please?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7; 16 GB DDR3

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 9:15 AM

4 replies

Feb 19, 2014 9:31 AM in response to bepilk

How did you reinstall your OS? Did you wipe your drive completely?

And how did you restore your documents and data? If you used Setup Assistent directly when you reinstalled, and restored your Applications and data from a TimeMachine backup, your Instrument Library and Loops should have been restored. What is your GarageBand version?

Feb 19, 2014 9:42 AM in response to léonie

First, I do not use Time Machine. I use Carbonite. As I recall, the Apple Tech I was talking to on the phone led me through the process of dragging folders and files I might need from the MacBook Pro to an external HD before wiping. Once the OS was reinstalled, I dragged everything I had dragged to the external HD back into (what I thought) were their proper places on the MacBook Pro. Garage Band version 6.0.5 (428.5).

Feb 19, 2014 10:46 AM in response to bepilk

Then check please, if you still have your Loop Library and Instrument library.

All your GarageBand '11 loops should be installed in the system library - open the Library folder on your Macintosh HD:

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

The folder /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/ should contain all the loops you previously used. If you are seeing them there, but not in GarageBand, rebuild the Loop Index, see this document: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

The second folder - /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/ - contains your instrument library. If instruments are missing as well, compare with your backup.

Why do I only have a few loops available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.