Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel Xserve RAID Support?

I couldn't find any mention of RAID support on the new intel xserves. Does any have any info on them. I was hoping this generation would have embedded support (no more cards).

15" PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Data Center Express: Mac

Posted on Aug 8, 2006 10:33 AM

23 replies

Aug 8, 2006 2:01 PM in response to Christopher Erckert

it is acutally good that it is not embedded. if the controller were to go down and it was embedded, you would have to replace the whole node. with a card, you just swap out the bad one and your back in biz... plus maybe some day Apple will start using other higher speed links than FC, and you would appreciate it then when you can put in one of those cards.

Aug 8, 2006 4:14 PM in response to Christopher Erckert

Agreed, he is referring to the Hardware RAID PCI card expansion option on the Xserve (required to run the three internal drives in a RAID 5 configuration).

I'm also distressed by the lack of any mention of this option on the product page or spec sheets. Hopefully running the three internal drives in RAID 5 is an option somehow we're just not seeing yet. Otherwise this new machine isn't such a clear cut purchase for us (and we've been waiting 6 months for this puppy).

12 PowerBook (Rev. C) Mac OS X (10.4.7) Manage small Mac network

Aug 8, 2006 8:47 PM in response to Camelot

Camelot, yep that is the issue. No mention of the hardware RAID card at all. In my opinion this would be a huge oversight. Maybe the hardware controller is fully integrated and doesn't require an extra expansion card?

Here is to hoping the option still exists and just isn't being mentioned properly at this point.

12 PowerBook (Rev. C) Mac OS X (10.4.7) G5 PowerMac @ work

Oct 1, 2006 11:04 AM in response to Kevin M. Cox

Hahah. You expected that "Coming in October" meant "Coming October 1st"?

I read it as "Coming October 31st".

Next you'll tell me that Leopard's due on March 21st - the first day of "spring" 🙂

Hopefully neither of us are correct about the XServes (well, we already know it's not the 1st, but hopefully it's also not the 31st) 🙂

Oct 1, 2006 11:06 AM in response to Kevin M. Cox

I sincerely doubt the hardware raid controller is embedded since that would add to the cost of the hardware for something that many people would never use.

I'm guessing the issue somehow relates to the dual format drive bays. Since they support both SATA and SAS there isn't a card around that can handle both, and it would seem counter-intuitive to put a hardware RAID card on the slower SATA drives when SAS is an option.

Nov 15, 2006 6:40 PM in response to Camelot

My first batch of Intel XServes have shipped from
China. Once they get here I'll be able to tell
whether the drive bays use the daughtercard/cable
setup that facilitates the Hardware RAID Card as used
in the XServe G5. They're due in on Monday...

You lucky (and brave early adopter) guy. It would be interesting to know the controller chip on the motherboard, if System Profiler provides that information. There are a few (non-Windows) RAID vendors out there who are doing RAID 5 via driver with certain controller chipsets. Perhaps that's a path. If done right, and with journaling, it could work and be reliable. It would be a processor hit, but with all of those cores floating around, it might be doable as a low-end alternative to an XRAID.

Russ

Xserve G5 2.0 GHz 2 GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.8) Apple Hardware RAID, ATTO UL4D, Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u

Nov 16, 2006 1:32 PM in response to Christopher Erckert

Apple Sales referred me to highpoint-tech.com for using the internal drives in a RAID 5 configuration. Unfortunately the web site states:

' Data Mode Only - controller and RAID array not bootable into Mac OS X'

I have a call into HighPoint tech support and am waiting for confirmation on whether their cards will work.

This all seems a bit odd, since a $5,000-$6,000 external RAID is not what we need. We just need a little $500 card to connect the existing drives.

Intel Xserve RAID Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.