Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac will not boot please help

hello and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. i've been trying troubleshoot an early 2008 imac for an elderly couple and haven't been able to get anywhere with one exception...I was able to boot into single user mode once and thats it! I've tried reseting smc and nvram, safe mode, swapping memory etc... and all I get is a grey screen prompting to restart the computer. I thought the firmware might possibly corrupt but unfortunately this particular model doesn't have any EFI downloads factory or updated. One forum I was on had several iMac 8,1 owners with video card related issues but I've not even been able to get far enough to determine if thats the issue. The couple had the iMac in storage along with whatever original software it came with but unfortunately (6 boxes later) I haven't located anything other than the physical iMac. I come from mostly a windows background though I do run several linux vm's and a little Mac experience starting about 6 months ago when I repaired some physical damage on a mac book pro and fell in love with the hardware +design and wish I'd picked one up sooner.

Anyhow back to the problem, can anyone please give me some direction in getting the iMac to breath once again.

cheers

~OP

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 11:34 AM

5 replies

Feb 19, 2014 12:16 PM in response to Klaus1

Thanks for your quick response Klaus1, I'm in the process of reading the information your sent me but wanted to get a quick thank you out whilst you were still online. I was hoping it might be RAM and I've tried (serveral times) removing one of the ram modules and swapping back and forth to no avail and don't have anything else compatible what manufacturer would you recommend for memory compatibility? Currently PNY is installed and I'm not sure if that was factory or aftermarket? Also, and I was just reading an article on malfuntioning sensors could that cause a kernel panic as well?

thanks again

Feb 19, 2014 2:16 PM in response to sugar187

Is this a white iMac? if so, I would almost guarantee it is a problem with the graphics card, and it will never restart again. That's what happened to mine.

That said, you can take it into an Apple Store and they will troubleshoot it with a hardware eval and assess it for free. Then they'll give you a quote on repair, of course. Just make an appointment with the Genius bar online.

iMac will not boot please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.