Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any plans to update the iPod Classic to lightning power?

I want to buy a new Bose sound dock III and iPod Classic but they are not compatible at present

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 1:06 PM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2014 2:14 PM in response to andrewbp3

No one here knows if Apple will update the Classic.

Given how many iPods are out there with the 30-pin connector (quite a lot more than the lightning connector!), it's a wonder that no one has yet produced a reverse connector. I have seen one, but it does not, apparently, work with the Classic.

As an alternative option, hunt around for a Bose dock with the old connector, i.e. an older Bose model. If the shop tells you they only have the newer dock, go elsewhere. Someone must have older docks.

Feb 20, 2014 12:11 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks for your response. The new sound dock III is now available in brighter colours but only with a lightning connector. Sadly, the older sound dock II is only available in black and comes with a 30 pin connector.

Before I spend nearly £400 on new tech I want to make sure it is all compatible.

Either Apple need to update the classic to lightning or they need to create a female lightning to male 30 pin connector that is official and compatible.

I think I will also get on to Bose and push for them to make the dock II in the new colours.

Feb 20, 2014 2:17 AM in response to andrewbp3

andrewbp3 wrote:

The new sound dock III is now available in brighter colours but only with a lightning connector. Sadly, the older sound dock II is only available in black and comes with a 30 pin connector.

Before I spend nearly £400 on new tech I want to make sure it is all compatible.

In that case, perhaps compatibility takes precedent over colour.

andrewbp3 wrote:

Either Apple need to update the classic to lightning or they need to create a female lightning to male 30 pin connector that is official and compatible.

I'm inclined to agree. You can submit feedback to Apple here, http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html. That's the iPod Classic feedback. There doesn't appear to be a section for accessories. Here's the top feedback page; http://www.apple.com/feedback/ if you feel like finding a more suitable section to use.

The issues to watch for when buying an adaptor (if you find one) are:

1. Does the adaptor provide power through to the iPod from the Dock (My Bose dock does not chagre to an iPod Touch, but it does charge a Classic. An adaptor may not put power through to a Classic.)
  2. Are you happy using an adaptor which makes the iPod so high above the dock that it may weaken the dock to internal motherboard connection, due to leverage? In other words, the weight of the iPod above the dock may break the electrical connections.

Are there any plans to update the iPod Classic to lightning power?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.