Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview is automatically darkening my images when I click Save.

I've upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mavericks and lately I've noticed that when I open a saved image (be it jpg, jpeg, or png) in Preview, if I make any changes, like cropping, and save it, it automatically darkens in my Finder (even though it doesn't appear suddenly darkened in Preview). I have to crop a lot of images and many times, it will do this. It does this on my mother's Macbook Pro running Mavericks as well. I haven't been able to find a common thread (like it's this type of file) - it just appears random.

Has anyone else experienced this? My mother and I both work in art, so an unexpected darkening of images is a real problem for us.

Thanks for all your help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Preview app

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 11:53 AM

Hi,

I know this is an old post so hopefully you figured out a solve for this issue but I have recently been experiencing a similar problem and wanted to post my discovery to potentially help anyone in the future.

When I would open a photo file be it a jpg, png, cr2, etc. it didn't seem to matter, I would get this automatic refresh of the image within a second or two and it would darken the whole image and almost seem to reduce the overall quality of the shadows. For a brief second I would see the image how it was supposed to look but then every time it would do this darkening process. I could open it in photoshop and this effect wouldn't happen so I knew it was something to do with preview or the 'quick look' feature on Mac.

I started messing with the settings in preview and found a feature in the dropdown menu bar:

Tools > Assign Profile

When you click this you can change the ColorSync profile on the image. So I would select to change it from "ACES CG Linear" to "Existing Profile in Image". This would revert the image back to the original look but then it would change back again after a few seconds and also change back in to "ACES CG Linear" in the Assign Profile dropdown.

I think I have found a fix for all this but will update if it returns. The solve I found was to change the "Display Profile" in

System Preferences > Displays > Color

by clicking the "Calibrate" button and making my own display profile has removed this darkening effect to all my photos in Preview. The ColorSync/Assign Profile automatic reversion still occurs but doesn't doesn't seem to have any affect on the image.

I still don't fully understand why any of this is happening but maybe this is the fix... I don't know.

Hopefully this helps someone!

- George

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2017 11:53 AM in response to venturer16

Hi,

I know this is an old post so hopefully you figured out a solve for this issue but I have recently been experiencing a similar problem and wanted to post my discovery to potentially help anyone in the future.

When I would open a photo file be it a jpg, png, cr2, etc. it didn't seem to matter, I would get this automatic refresh of the image within a second or two and it would darken the whole image and almost seem to reduce the overall quality of the shadows. For a brief second I would see the image how it was supposed to look but then every time it would do this darkening process. I could open it in photoshop and this effect wouldn't happen so I knew it was something to do with preview or the 'quick look' feature on Mac.

I started messing with the settings in preview and found a feature in the dropdown menu bar:

Tools > Assign Profile

When you click this you can change the ColorSync profile on the image. So I would select to change it from "ACES CG Linear" to "Existing Profile in Image". This would revert the image back to the original look but then it would change back again after a few seconds and also change back in to "ACES CG Linear" in the Assign Profile dropdown.

I think I have found a fix for all this but will update if it returns. The solve I found was to change the "Display Profile" in

System Preferences > Displays > Color

by clicking the "Calibrate" button and making my own display profile has removed this darkening effect to all my photos in Preview. The ColorSync/Assign Profile automatic reversion still occurs but doesn't doesn't seem to have any affect on the image.

I still don't fully understand why any of this is happening but maybe this is the fix... I don't know.

Hopefully this helps someone!

- George

Feb 19, 2014 2:02 PM in response to venturer16

venturer16 wrote:

it automatically darkens in my Finder (even though it doesn't appear suddenly darkened in Preview).

First I have heard of this.

Maybe has to do with work flow. What veiw in Finder? Radically darker? Post a screen shot of the comparision.

If the original is unaffected, an only looking at the cover flow or image file view in Finder, maybe it is considered a non-issue.

You can give Feed back or file a bug report.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Bug Report https://bugreport.apple.com/

Feb 19, 2014 2:11 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks so much for responding, leroydouglas! Well, I'm attaching two screenshots. The first is when I first open the image in Preview. You can see there's a little Finder preview in the Finder screen to the right and both images are equally dark.

User uploaded file

The second screenshot is after I slightly cropped the image in Preview and clicked "Save." Immediately the Finder preview of the image darkened, even though that isn't reflected in the image in the actual Preview app. If I open that image up fresh from Finder, it will, indeed, be darker.

User uploaded file

It may seem like a slight difference, but in the art world, that can be a big issue. My mother, for instance, is an online art instructor who saves her students' work to her computer to compose her critiques for them. But often she's critiqued values that have been too dark only to find the student's original image wasn't so dark. It was only when she opened it up in Preview to reduce its size on her hard drive!

Feb 19, 2014 2:22 PM in response to LowLuster

Hi, LowLuster - No, I didn't change the image size itself (just cropped), but the same thing happens when I resize the image, too.

I have Photoshop Elements which is great for a lot of things, especially detailed editing, but sometimes it's like using a sledgehammer on a finishing nail: sometimes I only need to quickly resize or quickly crop, and Preview loads faster and should do these things without changing the image's levels. It's not realistic to have Photoshop as the default program for ALL image files, so I'd have to right-click and manually open things in Preview when I just want to do a quick-change.

Preview is automatically darkening my images when I click Save.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.