Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerpoint presenter notes using iBooks author

I run a conference every year and with many conferences, there are tons or PowerPoint presentations. Typically we have every presentors notes and slides printed out so the big wigs can follow along during the conference. Instead of lugging around 10 or so of these gigantic binders, I have decided to go the route on an iBook since they all have iPads. I cannot get it to work and this is what I have done so far:

I have exported the slides and notes from PowerPoint into Word.

Removed all formatting from the new Word document

Tried to import the Word doc directly into iBooks Author and the slide images did not show up properly

I opened the Word doc in Pages (where the images show up properly)

Saved the Word doc as a Pages doc

Tried to import the Pages doc and everytime I do (no matter what the document) I get an "The document ______ couldn't be found, The document has been moved or deleted" error.

The pages doc is on my desktop and I am able to reopen it in pages

I have also tried to add just all the text in a scrolling sidebar and I guess there is a length limit because I only get about a third of the notes. The reason I did that is because I was going to use the Keynote widget and then just have the notes scrolling by it.

I also import a Pages or Word document in black pages. Does it really have to be only as a Section or a Chapter?

I am trying to save a ton of time, money, and trees by not printing these books but I am at my wits end with IBA. Can someone add any support or insight? I hate thinking that Apple has released an absolute garbage program but I cannot get it to do anything it says it can so simply. Thanks in advance!

iBook, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 1:13 PM

8 replies

Feb 26, 2014 2:12 PM in response to MacLeanMedia

I'm having the same problem, too. I was able to open a Word docx version of my file, which contained embedded images and tables, but the formatting was a disaster. I then pasted all of the text into a Pages document, removed all of the formatting, etc, and tried to open in iBooks Author. I tried both the "drag and drop" and the Insert (menu) option. Neither worked. In both cases I received the same error that you did. When I tried inserting from the Insert menu, I could even see the preview of my Pages document, so obviously it was found! Then, after iBooks Author tried to 'read' the file and then gave me the error "The document ___ couldn't be found. The document has been moved or deleted" the same document opened automatically in Pages! I recently installed iBooks Author 2.0. Is this a bug common to this version? If so, that's a big problem! Any help from Apple Support would be much appreciated.

Feb 26, 2014 4:44 PM in response to MacLeanMedia

If I understand you right, you have the PP slides as images - .jpg or .png are good for iBA, - take them from Word or re-export them as images to a folder and insert / drag and drop - resize to fit the page - into iBA direct and text can be added by copy and paste into a text box sitting on top of the image if needed.

Images should be 2048 x 1536 or 1024 x748 to fit the page.

Importing from PAges or Word is reformatting content and images sometimes suffer. Better to take material direct into iBA.

I did a similar thing for PC presentations - obvioulsy using PC software, but the principles are the same.

Feb 26, 2014 4:48 PM in response to vinnyvg

My primary issue (and I believe one of the primary issues for MacLeanMedia) is that I cannot open or insert my iBooks content from a Pages document. Whether I drag and drop into the sidebar menu, or insert from the Insert menu, I receive the error MacLeanMedia noted above:

"The document ______ couldn't be found, The document has been moved or deleted"

Feb 26, 2014 4:54 PM in response to DinaKfromWA

As above...

If you have the raw material, placing first into Pages and them importing will change formatting and without formatting, the iBA template in use tries to apply its defaults to you content.

Maclean Media writes, I hate thinking that Apple has released an absolute garbage program but I cannot get it to do anything it says it can so simply.

How many times as kids did you get on a bicycle - unaided by caring moms and dads - and ride perfect first time?

iBA is like any other piece of software - its great at doing what its designed for - but takes time to learn everything.

If you have images in the corect format and size and you have text in Word or what ever, it is - to me - far easier to be in control of things by inserting the images onto pages, it should not, but if you have problems, open Shapes and select a rectangle and use it as a placeholder with a mask or you can add a mask to teh image itself if needed.

Relevant text can be copied from your text editor and pasted into either the flowing text box or an inserted text box.

It takes less time than doing battle with format issues on imported material. I suspect the option was included to allow all those using Pages or MS Words for none Apple applications, to move over to iBA fairly easily.

Feb 26, 2014 5:06 PM in response to vinnyvg

I viewed a 2013 iMovie made by Charles Migos, iBooks Design Manager, entitled, "What's New in iBooks Author." Wonderful, helpful iMovie. In it he emphasizes the value of writing your iBooks in Pages and then inserting the content in to iBooks Author. He also demonstrates this during the iMovie. I made a simple Pages document with only text, no images, so as to add the images seperately. This document would not open in iBooks Author, and I received the error that iBooks Author could not open the file because it said that the file (which I could see in the preview while inserting) 'could not be found.' Instead, the document automatically opened in Pages when dragged and dropped into iBooks Author (or when I attempted to insert the content via the Insert menu). The exact same content opens fine when sourced from a Word document. This seems strange, since Pages is an Apple program, yes?

Sorry for mixing apples and oranges (no pun intended), but my issue has nothing to do with inserting images. It is a problem inserting content from a Pages document into an iBook via iBooks Author. I landed on this page when a search for the error that I was receiving matched the same error that MacLeanMedia received. You should not have to copy and paste each piece of text from a Pages document into iBooks Author text boxes. That defeats both the power and the usable intended for iBooks Author (according to Mr. Migos).

Feb 26, 2014 5:47 PM in response to DinaKfromWA

I viewed a 2013 iMovie made by Charles Migos, iBooks Design Manager, entitled, "What's New in iBooks Author." Wonderful, helpful iMovie. In it he emphasizes the value of writing your iBooks in Pages and then inserting the content in to iBooks Author.

The writer was obvioulsy well versed in the application and able to resolve issues..... your post suggest you followed examples and had problems.

My reply suggested an options - which has worked for me and which saves time trying to do two jobs at once.. learn about iBA and its ways which takes time - and gives you a fairly easy option if your PP page images have legible text... its simply a case of putting them in IBA , in logical order.

No matter how detailed you write your actions, I am not able to see or experience what you have done or how you did it, so its down to you to keep trying till you solve the issue. It seems to be a glitch, so your only option is to delete everything from iBA and start again. Which again comes to my suggestion of a solution, if its not to your liking, then its OK to ignore it.

You should not have to copy and paste each piece of text from a Pages document into iBooks Author text boxes. That defeats both the power and the usable intended for iBooks Author (according to Mr. Migos).

I agree and if everthing was working for you - you would not have had to seek advice here, but what your video does not do, is explain that sometimes - for whatever reasons - things do not go as they should and the "victim" has problems getting - what the videos displays as easy - his/her content transfer to iBA as perfect as demonstrated.

If you want to stay with placing your PP material into iBA via the import Chapters etc,. option, it seems you need tabula rosa at all stages and try again.

With respect to Mr Migos, he created the video having run through the procedures until they were flawless.

Apple created the import options and during the software engineering, it was tried and tested with "typical" documents. So according to Migos and Apple you should not have problems!!

If that were the case, there would be no need to host these discussion groups.

Sorry I cannot offer any other solutions

Feb 26, 2014 5:59 PM in response to vinnyvg

I understand what you are saying.

If anypone else has had trouble Inserting content from a Pages document into an iBooks Author file and was able to resolve the issue, I would appreciate their feedback.

In the meantime, I believe that the simplest option is to use a Microsoft Word document to insert content, as that does not appear to have any problems. All of the content and formatting transferred fine, and this option is miuch quicker (for me at least) than copying and pasting individual pieces of content.

If anyone else in this communty experiences the same error that I received and cannot resolve the issue, I would suggest trying to insert content with via Microsoft Word document and see if that works for you as well. If that doesn't work, then pasting content as described by vinnyvg seems like a good second option.

Powerpoint presenter notes using iBooks author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.