Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need an anti-virus for my iPad Mini?

As stupid as it sounds does it need one? It's not jailbroken and it's brand new (just got it yesterday). I'm new to apple products so, please help. 🙂

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 1:55 PM

9 replies

Feb 19, 2014 2:11 PM in response to ItsSoBrian

iDevices are closed systems. You cannot upload or download except through iTunes and Apple. All apps and their documents are self-contained, and all apps have been checked by Apple to be sure they are safe.

Now, you can jailbreak but that will expose you to malware risk. You can click on strange Internet links in Safari or in email, but virtually all of that garbage does not work on Apple products. And, iOS7 does contain some security.

Feb 19, 2014 2:12 PM in response to ItsSoBrian

Apple programs (apps) are contained so they have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is controlled by the operating system (iOS).

A virus would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do.

Some programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction ('jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available).

They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

Do I need an anti-virus for my iPad Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.