Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super Duper for SSD Upgrade, any issue?

Hi and tnxs for reading,

I am planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro to a SSD.

By looking around, I see that the majority is using Super Duper to clone the old HD to the new SSD.

However I read that someone is complaining about the fact that not all the disk is copied, like important Apple Partitions... is it true or not?

Many tnxs.

Cheers!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 3:31 PM

Super Duper doesn't copy the Recovery partition. It's main attraction is that it's free. In my opinion, Carbon Copy Cloner is the better solution. It does copy the Recovery partition and has a nice easy interface as well.

http://www.bombich.com

13 replies

Apr 7, 2014 7:27 AM in response to Jet787

Carbon Copy Cloner will create and copy the Recovery partition to your SSD. SuperDuper will not. But if you create regular bootable backups, the Recovery partition becomes less important.

Both programs are pretty good , however, I find the interface on SuperDuper to be easier to use and more intuitive for regular backups. Just a personal thing.

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner first then use SuperDuper on a regular basis to make bootable backups. The paid-for version of SuperDuper unlocks some very useful features for scheduling and automating unattendeded backups.

I've installed SSDs in three Mac Minis and a MacBook Pro using just SuperDuper, or by using CCC once then following up with regular backups with SuperDuper. Both do a great job. Good luck!

Apr 7, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Abester

Abester wrote:

Carbon Copy Cloner will create and copy the Recovery partition to your SSD. SuperDuper will not. But if you create regular bootable backups, the Recovery partition becomes less important.

It is folly NOT to have the recovery partition regardless of how many backups one has. Case in point, if the HDD has to be repaired, it cannot be done with same.

Ciao.

Apr 7, 2014 8:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

If you have a bootable backup, all the tools you need will be on it.

And, if you have said bootable backup, you won't even need to 'repair' the HDD in question (if it can be repaired at all) because you will be up and running without a hitch from your bootable backup.

It is a folly to rely soley on the Recovery partition. If you have a catastophic HDD failure, you may not be able to access the Recovery partition, but your bootable backup will be there to save you.

Ciao

May 10, 2014 12:17 AM in response to Jet787

I've used Super Duper in the past and it works a great.

It's true that it does not copy the recovery partition.

However, that's easy to get around.

Step 1: Install blank new OS X on you new SSD.

This will create the recovery partition on your SSD.

Step 2: Clone your exisiting OS X onto the new SSD.

This will clone your active OS partition and leave the recovery partition created by Step 1 untouched.

That's it. You now have a new cloned SSD.

May 10, 2014 1:16 AM in response to Jet787

Since I'm a long-time Carbon Copy Cloner user, I just downloaded the 'free' version of SuperDuper - to unlock all the features you have to pay $28.

CCC, on the other hand, seems much more flexible, will give you a free, full-featured 30-day free trial and if you use it as part of your backups schemes (which I do) costs $40 to purchase - $12 more than SuperDuper.

For me, CCC is easy to use, copies everything (and deletes, if needed), and is simplicity itself. It allows block copying (which I find advantageous when cloning a smaller Time Machine drive to a larger one) and just seems more feature-rich than SuperDuper.

Just my 2¢...

Clinton

Super Duper for SSD Upgrade, any issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.