Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new AOC external monitor e1659fwu will not work with my Macbook Pro

I had the older version of this AOC USB powered monitor (e1649) but it quit working due to a faulty connector. So I ordered the new version (improved, more sturdy connector) but it will not work with my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5.

The new external monitor has a 3.0 USB which is supposed to be backwards compatible with the 2.0 USB ports on the MacBook Pro.

When I called AOC tech support we went through some troubleshooting steps and they finally told me it is probably a lack of power issue. They advised me to buy a powered USB charger (suggested this one: http://amzn.to/1maZiKh

I have it on order, as well as this male-male USB cable: http://amzn.to/1d1faZX

Am I on the right track? I'm waiting for delivery of these gizmos, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if there is some other troubleshooting I could do. I have already verified that I have the correct driver, and have gone through the install/uninstall process more than once to make sure it wasn't a corrupted driver file or something. Of course I have restarted the computer a couple of times in the interim.

Note that the MBP does "see" the external monitor in display system preferences, and allows me to arrange the displays, etc. The external monitor does display its logo on initial connection, so I know it's ALIVE. But will not display any documents.

Any help or advice is welcome!

Thank you

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 15 inch screen

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 10:49 AM

hey, this actually worked for me. before my aoc E1659Fwu monitor just kept blinking with nothing else happening. this is on a macbook pro retina with high sierra (it used to work on my other macbook pro with el capitan). once i installed the splastop.com streamer it automatically worked. I didn't have to do anything, the aoc monitor just started working and connecting as a second monitor. thanks!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 10:49 AM in response to JCargius

hey, this actually worked for me. before my aoc E1659Fwu monitor just kept blinking with nothing else happening. this is on a macbook pro retina with high sierra (it used to work on my other macbook pro with el capitan). once i installed the splastop.com streamer it automatically worked. I didn't have to do anything, the aoc monitor just started working and connecting as a second monitor. thanks!

Nov 2, 2017 12:54 PM in response to jl12380

I must take back my previous post. installing splashtop did not help me. I thought it did but it was just coincidence that it started working at the same time. my screen eventually connected after blinking for a bit. It seemed to also help that I checked, "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available." after blinking for abotu 20 seconds, it connected.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not sure if it was from installing splashtop or just another coincidence, but afterwards, google backup and sync started to delete EVERYTHING in my google drive folder. I have no idea why, but thankfully it was just putting it in trash so I still had the files. it was on its way to deleting everything though if I didn't stop it.

May 10, 2014 2:56 PM in response to X-RHEA

Hi,

Did you manage to solve this problem?

I just purchased an AOC E1659Fwu, not knowing about the problems relating to the driver from DisplayLink. Had the same problem, logo on start up, but nothing else.

Anyway, trying to solve the solution another way, I installed a remote desktop service from "splashtop.com". Upon rebooting my Mac after instaling the Virtual Display Driver the AOC second screen worked.

User uploaded file

I'm not a computer genius, so not sure if it was that that solved my problem, or the driver actually started working. But thought i'd share just incase.

James

Nov 12, 2014 8:51 PM in response to JCargius

G'day Guys.

I've had the same problem too. X-RHEA did that purchase solve your issue.

I have a 2011 Macbook air with 2 usb 2 ports. When I plug in the monitor with one of the usb ports the AOC logo flashes once and then turns off .

When both ports are connected then nothing changes.

I am running MAC OS 10.7.5

What is the best way to solve this.

Do I need to purchase a USB 3 power hub? Will I need some kind of USB 2 - 3 adapter or that's not an issue?

I 've updated the drivers and this hasn't worked either. ( aoc drivers0

Could you please supply any feedback or advice

Regards

Dimitri

Apr 12, 2015 6:38 AM in response to X-RHEA

I already have a USB3-Hub with external power supply. It even has a high-power port for charging devices like smartphones and tablets. Still, I have the same issue, so I doubt that it is really a power issue. Otherwise, I have exactly the same case as described. My MacBookPro 13" retina does recognize the external AOC monitor and lets me change all the settings for it, etc. but the AOC simply stays blank.
I tried 3 different drivers, including the latest beta. Nothing works. I guess I will send it back.
Running Yosemite 10.10.2User uploaded file

Apr 12, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Oli.S72

Now I think, I can confirm that these problems are NOT related to not-enough-power:

I plugged in the Monitor to the USB hub with the external power disconnected. This is, what happens:User uploaded file

My MacBook reports me, that there is not enough power for the AOC.

When I use the same setup, but with the external power plugged in, there are no such messages at all.

new AOC external monitor e1659fwu will not work with my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.