Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

harddrive had to be reformatted according to disk utility but my mac won't reinstall maverick over the internet

I have an iMac that is several years old. I believe it had leopard on it when I got it. It is intel based though and I had Mavericks running on it recently. After updating to Mavericks and a few system updates I noticed problems and slowing. It was a very noticeable change for the worst. Anyhow recently I ran another verification of disk permissions after repairing those and then trying to verify the disk it told me I needed to repair the disk. It also told me I had to reboot the computer (CMD + R) in order to do the disk repair. That is the last time I was able to use my computer as it would no longer let me startup. I erased the disk and reformatted and the recovery console has the option to reinstall os x mavericks. This is where I am stuck. It seems to have to do this over the internet and it takes over an hour to download according to the progress bar. Every time I try it ends up saying it failed to download. I can't get past this. Mavericks has been nothing but trouble for me I sure hope there is something I can do.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 3:08 PM

4 replies

Feb 19, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Donald Morgan

I wish it was that easy.

I can't even run OS X because the harddrive has been reformatted. I am only running off the little partition they built in for restoring and running disk utility.

I finally got it to download fast enough by hooking it directly to the router to speed up the download but once that went through and I tried to install, it tells me the harddrive is damaged and can not be repaired. So i guess I need a new harddrive. Now I need to figure out how to install a new harddrive when Apple has done away with install disks....

harddrive had to be reformatted according to disk utility but my mac won't reinstall maverick over the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.