Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I block an email address in mac mail?

I am receiving numerous repeat messages from an email address and would like to block this address. How do I do that?

iMac, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 9:28 AM

While this is great for deleting emails it does not BLOCK the email sender. It simply processes the junk email. The emails are still being sent, marked as received, and I'm not sure but perhaps even "opened"... is there a true BLOCK function available on macOS...

24 replies

Jul 12, 2017 4:31 PM in response to Sandra-Peter

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Sep 11, 2014 11:01 AM in response to pennycarp

Check the Wiki-how in the URL shown below. Essentially, you just open the unwanted e-mail, click 'add to Contacts', then go to Settings, Messages, and Block. Select the newly added contact. While it doesn't say so on the device (seems set up ostensibly for phone calls and texts), the Wiki-how indicates it will also block unwanted e-mails from the blocked contact. A follow-up below the Wiki-how indicates you needn't even keep the contact; the address remains blocked even if the contact is deleted.

Perhaps this will be simplified in iOS8. But if not, this seems to be the way to do it.

http://m.wikihow.com/Block-an-Email-Address-on-iPhone

1Launch iPhone’s Mail app. Tap the Mail app from your iPhone’s home screen to open it.

2Open a message from an e-mail address you want to block. Once you’ve opened the Mail app, tap the message that came from the e-mail address you want to block to open it.

3View the sender details. To do this, tap the e-mail address displayed on the “From” field. This is at the top-most part of the screen. You will be able to view the sender details.

4Create a new contact. Just tap on “Create New Contact.” This option should be on the sender details window.

• Before you can block an e-mail address on your iPhone, it should first be saved on your contact list; otherwise, you won’t be able to block it at all, so you must create a new contact for the e-mail address to be blocked.
  • On the following screen, type in a name for the contact you want to block.

5Add the e-mail address to your contact list. Just tap “OK” at the bottom of the screen to add it to your contact list.

THEN

1Head to your iPhone’s settings. Tap the Setting icon on your iPhone’s home screen. This will open the device’s Settings app.

2Choose the “Phone” option from the list on the Settings menu. Scroll down the Settings screen, and tap on the “Phone” option. This will display your phone settings, like your number, voicemail, and more.

Tap “Blocked” from the list of options. Here you can add contact details like the phone number or e-mail address that you want to block on your phone.

4Add a new contact to block. Tap on “Add new” on the screen. Once you tapped “Add new,” your contact list will be displayed. Scroll down the list and select the contact you want to block.

• Once you add it to the blocked list, you will no longer receive any e-mail messages from that specific sender.
  • Jul 5, 2015 4:40 PM in response to J Bertram

Actually, it worked for me.

I created a "Spam" contact and add any spam mails addresses to it. That labeled it Spam for me, but until Fred posted this, it hadn't occurred to me that it would block the emails as well. Until now, I've only been using the block function for telemarketing calls.

Thanks, Fred Thorne. Good tip.

John Zitzelberger

aka macanes

How do I block an email address in mac mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.