Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External Hard Drive Mac/PC

Hello Everyone,

I have read where you are able to format a new Seagate Drive to be able to read both Mac and PC drives.

Problem for me is I already have a ton of PC data on the Seagate drive. I need to be able to use this for both Mac and a PC but I am afraid if I follow the instructions to partition I will erase all the PC data I already have.

Is there a way to format the hard drive for a Mac when I already have PC data without erasing the data? If so, please forgive my ignorance and walk me through the steps.

Much Appreciated,

New Convert

PB

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 6:37 PM

1 reply

Feb 19, 2014 6:47 PM in response to Paulthaddeus

1. hard drives are cheap as dirt

2. Yes, you can format on your PC a new (another) HD in EXFAT for read/ write to/ from PC and Mac.

3. Dont partition it, as said, HD are very cheap, buy another HD for $60

😊

already have a ton of PC data on the Seagate drive........ I am afraid if I follow the instructions to partition I will erase all the PC data I already have.

No worries, leave the data where it is. Also having a single HD (with your PC) is an error with Pc or Mac. That creates a single choke point for serious data loss.

HD can and DO fail, never at any time have a single external HD backup of your priceless data, always 2 minimum,

Yet another reason to buy another HD.

Seagate External Hard Drive Mac/PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.