Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendars and contacts not syncing

I am running iTunes 11.1.4.62 on Windows 7. I sync with an iPhone 5s and an iPad mini with retina display, both running iOS7.

All worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. The first problem was when iTunes 11.1.4 installed and 'broke' iTunes. I found info here about others with the same problem and was able to successfully uninstall and reinstall and all was fine again. I was able to sync successfully after getting iTunes working again.

Yesterday I tried to sync again, for the first time in about 10 days. The sync seemed to hang on syncing calendars. Never would finish and I would have to cancel the sync. This happened on BOTH devices.

After some searching on the web I've tried a number of things: first I looked at calendar entries. I have a LOT, so followed instructions to search for bad recurring yearly events. Reset all of them. Also cleaned out a lot of old entries, deleted a lot of email to reduce the size of my Outlook pst (it had gotten over 2 gb in size.) Didn't help.

Other things I tried which did not work: Reset Sync Services, Replace calendar on device (calander got REMOVED from device, but won't go back on.), hard reset of device. I also completely unisntalled and reinstalled iTunes again. I ran the Inbox Repair tool, which did find some errors. Still hung on syncing calendars.

Finally tried renaming the SyncServices folder, as I saw recommended somewhere. That made the problem worse -- iTunes basically no longer 'saw' Outlook, although at least the sync would now complete -- it just wasn't syncing anything from Outlook.

Then I went to a computer backup from right after the last successful sync I did and copied the SyncServices folder from that backup. With that folder iTunes now 'sees' Outlook but even though I have the options to sync both contacts and calendars selected it simply doesn't do it, on either device. It backs up, syncs mail accounts, syncs apps (steps 2 through 4), then just skips steps 5 thru 7 and 'finished.'

This happens with BOTH of my devices. While it's possible there's something odd going on in my pst file, I really think the problem is somehow in iTunes.

I'm not sure what else to try. I do have copies of the backups from both devices from the last successful sync about 10 days ago that I could use to restore, but frankly I'm not sure that would fix anything.

Can someone point me to something else to try? I have a new Windows 8.1 computer coming in a day or two but obviously can't move all this to a new computer until I get it fixed!

Thanks,

Judy

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 6:54 PM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2014 12:08 PM in response to judyereese

Update: I never did find the problem on my old computer. No matter what I tried it simply ignored contacts and calendar when syncing. I finally gave up and moved Outlook and iTunes to the new Windows 8.1 computer. And Voila! all works fine there.

So obviously there was *something* on the old computer that was the problem. Just wish I know what it was so I can prevent it from happening again.

Judy

Feb 26, 2014 5:24 PM in response to b noir

Wow, thanks for that. Haven't had time to read the whole thread yet but that does sound like my problem. I just checked and don't currently have that System Variable on the new computer (and I've already uninstalled Eset on the old one). And this one is Windows 8.1 and I downloaded the latest version of Eset so that may be slighty different but regardless, I have bookmarked that thread and will at least have an idea what to look for if the problem crops up again!

THANK YOU! I'm pretty computer savvy (do IT support and database development) and it always drives me crazy to not KNOW what caused a problem!

Judy

Feb 26, 2014 6:02 PM in response to judyereese

🙂 You're welcome!

This one's very much a "developing story" ... I had no inkling there might be a conflict until about yesterday, really. It may pay to keep an eye on the Eset forums, too, for developments? (There's been enough issues here in recent times that this particular issue has been a bit swamped by reports of other trouble ... you might get a bit more "undiluted" information over at the Eset forums.

Feb 26, 2014 6:06 PM in response to b noir

Thanks, I'll do that. Explains why all the searching I've done over the last week hasn't turned up anything! I basically 'gave up' day before yesterday and made the move to the new computer, so hadn't seen the thread you sent. But I did figure SOMEONE else must be having a similar problem and I did suspect it had to be related to 11.1.4.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for more info. Glad to know I wasn't 'crazy' and wasn't the only one having the problem!

Judy

Feb 27, 2014 12:00 PM in response to judyereese

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT !!!!!!!!!

Problem in Outlook - I'm using Win7 and Outlook 2007...

Open Outlook 2007 and go to: Tools-Trust Center-Add ins...

Next: iTunes Outlook Addin AND Outlook Change Notifier were inactive and also Disabled. Change setting so that BOTH are ACTIVE !!!

Close Outllok and relaunch, then check setttings to make sure they have been modified correctly...

Open iTunes and make sure in Info: Sync Calendars with Outlook is checked...

FINALLY syncing properly and tested 1/2 dozen times...

Feb 27, 2014 12:12 PM in response to judyereese

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT !!!!!!!!!

Problem in Outlook - I'm using Win7 and Outlook 2007...

Open Outlook 2007 and go to: Tools-Trust Center-Add ins...

Next: iTunes Outlook Addin AND Outlook Change Notifier were inactive and also Disabled. Change setting so that BOTH are ACTIVE !!!

Close Outllok and relaunch, then check setttings to make sure they have been modified correctly...

Open iTunes and make sure in Info: Sync Calendars with Outlook is checked...

FINALLY syncing properly and tested 1/2 dozen times...

Dec 5, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Steve2477

Hello,

I used your post to assist me as I'm having problems syncing my Apple device contacts with my PC (running Windows 7). I followed your instructions and sure enough found that my iTunes Outlook addin had to be activated, which I've now done. Unfortunately, even with this activated, I am still finding that my Outlook Contacts are not being synced with my Apple devices - it's very frustrating as I'm sure it has to do with a setting somewhere? One thing I did find is that in iTunes under the Info tab, I am unable to find a toggle that allows me to Sync Calendars (or Contacts) with Outlook. Has this toggle now moved in newer versions of iTunes? Any help/suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

Calendars and contacts not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.