Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motorola surfboard SB6121

I just replaced my old cable modem with a new Motorola surfboard SB6121. After going through the process to register the modem with Comcast and it works with my iMac plugged directly into the modem, but when I plug the mode into the AirPort Extreme wireless base station I am having trouble connecting my devices. I will get signal through my Ipad and phone, but will loose my wife's MacBook Air and ipad. After restarting the devices I manage to get 3 devices working but not the fourth? Before switching modems I had no problem...is there an answer to this? Besides calling comcast to get my old modem back...

I am sometimes able to connect to the router but with the airport utility it shows green on airport and no internet connection.

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 9:31 AM

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

1. Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  2. Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  3. Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  4. Power-up your computer(s).

If the above steps do not solve the problem, start over with step 1 above, but then perform the next steps between steps 1 & 2. above.

1. Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  2. While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  3. After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  4. Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  5. Continue with step 2 in the first set of steps.

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 9:31 AM in response to gatorz090

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

1. Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  2. Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  3. Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  4. Power-up your computer(s).

If the above steps do not solve the problem, start over with step 1 above, but then perform the next steps between steps 1 & 2. above.

1. Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  2. While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  3. After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  4. Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  5. Continue with step 2 in the first set of steps.

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

Feb 21, 2014 5:35 AM in response to gatorz090

I have an SB6121 connected to my Extreme AC (also on Comcast) and it works flawlessly. I would check out the steps that Tesserax outlines. Since you said you plugged the cable modem directly into the iMac, make sure you keep the cable modem unplugged from power for a few minutes to give it a chance to reset and forget about the MAC address of the iMac, otherwise it may not connect properly and associate with the extreme when you plug into the extreme.

Jul 24, 2014 1:29 PM in response to gatorz090

My airport extreme had worked perfectly with my old modem, but I could not get it to connect with the Surfboard SB6121. No one I called could help and I was frustrated to the max and just started messing with the router's settings. For me, the AE was set to "Off (Bridge Mode)" for it's Network - Router Mode. Once I switched that to DHCP and NAT the connection to the modem was made instantly and my internet began working (for half hour now...) flawlessly. Worth a try as it took 2 seconds.

Best of luck.

Motorola surfboard SB6121

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.