Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook from Feb08 w/ 4gb upgrade. Can I download Mavericks?

I just added 4gb of ram to my Macbook from Feb08. I was contemplating upgrading my OS from Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Any recommendations? I almost bought Lion, but Mavericks is free. However, the first step doesn't include my computer. Are there limitations besides 4gb?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 9:03 PM

System requirements for Mavericks are here.

If your MacBook is the aluminum model from 2008 OR a white one from 2009 (Model 5,2) or later, you can upgrade.

If you have the late-2007 MacBook noted in your profile, the latest supported OS is 10.7.

~Lyssa

3 replies

Feb 19, 2014 9:19 PM in response to heylainey

Is the Mac you're upgrading the late-2007 MacBook? If so, it cannot run Mountain Lion. At most, you can go to Lion.

I'm running Lion on a machine similar to yours and I like it well enough. I've been contemplating downgrading to Snow Leopard but I've found I don't use it as often anymore and don't need it to be as zippy as it was with SL.

If this is your primary computer, stick with Snow Leopard. It would be worth buying Lion so you can upgrade in the future, though. At some point, SL will no longer be supported by Apple and third-parties so you'll find that software updates, etc, won't be available.

You can purchase Lion through this link.

~Lyssa

Macbook from Feb08 w/ 4gb upgrade. Can I download Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.