Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completely clean install vs migrating

So I have a fun project I'm about to perform on my Mac-Mini (now out of Applecare). I'm going to install an SSD and move the original HD to the Optical Drive slot with a caddy. But I'm debating how to go about the data move.

I don't think I've performed a migration-free-install since... OSX 10.2.5 back when I got my first eMac. Since then I've been using Migration Assistant from machine to machine. That means I've accumulated a number of old (grayed out) applications that don't work with who knows how many worthless background processes still running and sucking RAM and CPU. I'd like to declutter and start fresh BUT I'm concerned about the following:

1. If I don't migrate then I have to load all my programs and drivers, some of which aren't available for download anymore (company is gone). Some would require finding disks and registration keys (hassle and inconvenience).
  2. How do I move or relink my iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie libraries? What of other applications containing/mainainting libraries? How difficult is it without the migration assistant?
  3. What about setting up my email accounts and all those old emails that wouldn't transfer?
  4. Preference files? Bookmarks? Keychain?

I know migration assistant would make the program, prefs and media transfers seemless. But I don't want to migrate the "bad habits" to my new Startup Disk. I suppose if I truly trusted those maintenance programs like "Mac Keeper" and "Clean My Mac" to do it correctly then perhaps there'd be no problem with migrating. But I fear they'd throw away stuff which, though old, may still be something I want to keep. (I mean, some day I plan to pick up an old eMac or G5 just so I can play those old games and open those old files).So the question here is: How much control would I be I surrendering to these "janitor" programs? And then there's still the question of whether a clean install wouldn't still be better?

Its true that I'll still have my original HD installed in the Optical Drive so I could boot from there if I wanted to revert. But what do you think?

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Hi,

Some of this I can add something about.

Re 2)

In iPhone for Instance you can copy/move your Data somewhere else and then use the File Menu > Switch to Library.

User uploaded file

It maybe a modifier key as you start up the app in iTunes.

My son did this by moving his iPhoto and iTunes data to a NAS drive and then linking the Library to that.

this was back in Mountain Lion when I think both used Modifier keys.

Re 4) Bookmarks can be synced using iCloud.

The .plists in ~/Library/Preferences can be moved manually from one computer to another (or to a another Mac User Account using the Public folder/Drop box)

However they will show up as Owned by the original Mac User and you will have to change this.

It will be similar about the Keychain.

It resides in ~/Library/Keychains

But as you say both these can also contain lots (relatively) of old data about unused email accounts and things about apps that don't work anymore on the later systems.

Re 3.

I would use an IMAP account and create folders for what you want to keep.

Then move "ON My Mac" items to the relevant IMAP folders so that they are accessible by any login.

I wouldn't trust MacKeeper or anything similar.

Many can cause more damage to your system than you want due to some app using support apps (Messages uses SOAgent and IMAgent, which as stored on the System side of things, to provide functions outside of Messages itself, as an example). Overzealous "Cleaning" can cause issues.

User uploaded file

9:40 pm Thursday; February 20, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 1:40 PM in response to jsunem

Hi,

Some of this I can add something about.

Re 2)

In iPhone for Instance you can copy/move your Data somewhere else and then use the File Menu > Switch to Library.

User uploaded file

It maybe a modifier key as you start up the app in iTunes.

My son did this by moving his iPhoto and iTunes data to a NAS drive and then linking the Library to that.

this was back in Mountain Lion when I think both used Modifier keys.

Re 4) Bookmarks can be synced using iCloud.

The .plists in ~/Library/Preferences can be moved manually from one computer to another (or to a another Mac User Account using the Public folder/Drop box)

However they will show up as Owned by the original Mac User and you will have to change this.

It will be similar about the Keychain.

It resides in ~/Library/Keychains

But as you say both these can also contain lots (relatively) of old data about unused email accounts and things about apps that don't work anymore on the later systems.

Re 3.

I would use an IMAP account and create folders for what you want to keep.

Then move "ON My Mac" items to the relevant IMAP folders so that they are accessible by any login.

I wouldn't trust MacKeeper or anything similar.

Many can cause more damage to your system than you want due to some app using support apps (Messages uses SOAgent and IMAgent, which as stored on the System side of things, to provide functions outside of Messages itself, as an example). Overzealous "Cleaning" can cause issues.

User uploaded file

9:40 pm Thursday; February 20, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Completely clean install vs migrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.