Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15" Internal HDD Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB

Hello everyone,

Im planing to change my HDD of my Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011). My Macbook is really slower then the first days of it and Ihought that Its happening beacuse of my HDD is almost dead. I have 750 GB Toshiba but when I use Disk Utility to repair, It founds 100s of things that I do not understand and can not repair. I searched online and I found a HDD from Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB HDD 7200 RPM 16 MB Cahce 2.5". But there is an another thing which im not sure that it will fit to my Macbook Pro which is connection type: SATA

I know that my macbook pro has SATA connection but I do not know what is "3.0". My question is if I use this SATA 3.0 type HDD can I easly change my internal HDD? Is this type of macbook pro' s can support SATA 3.0.

Note: Im open to advise another internal HDD but capacity is not a big problem Im using external HDD to archive things. Speed is more important (7200 RPM)

Thanks for answers. 🙂

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 5:20 AM

SATA 3.0 refers to the connection speed of the drive, which is dependent on the computer's SATA port. I believe your machine will support the full 3.0 speed, but even if not the drive will still work, just not at the full speed. One thing you may want to try first is to move your exisiting drive to an external enclosure and try booting from there by holding down the option key. Many times the exisiting SATA cable goes bad, which will show itself with the same symptoms as a failing drive.

Also, consider this drive. The "hybrid" is a combination of SSD and HD technology. Not as fast as a true SSD, but faster than a normal drive. You'll also find a lot of folks on here will tell you to stay away from WD drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/re f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392902413&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+hybrid

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 5:20 AM in response to fratdoan

SATA 3.0 refers to the connection speed of the drive, which is dependent on the computer's SATA port. I believe your machine will support the full 3.0 speed, but even if not the drive will still work, just not at the full speed. One thing you may want to try first is to move your exisiting drive to an external enclosure and try booting from there by holding down the option key. Many times the exisiting SATA cable goes bad, which will show itself with the same symptoms as a failing drive.

Also, consider this drive. The "hybrid" is a combination of SSD and HD technology. Not as fast as a true SSD, but faster than a normal drive. You'll also find a lot of folks on here will tell you to stay away from WD drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/re f=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392902413&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+hybrid

Macbook Pro 15" Internal HDD Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.