Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect AT&T Unite mifi device to my Time Capsule to extend my internet connection to all my devices.

I currently live where I don't have any hard wired internet connections. Therefore I can either use a satelite internet connection by Exede (super expensive and slow) or use my AT&T 4g/LTE plan and add a Mifi device. We tried the first option and it wasn't working. I have now purchased a AT&T Unite Mifi device which is in itself a wifi router. I'm trying to extend that internet connection using my Time Capsule or my Airport Express to all my other 10+ apple devices so they can all use the express or time capsule network to connect to the internet. The problem is I spent over 3 hours on the phone with AT&T and their tech support, and the Mifi device is not "Mac compatible." I find this hard to believe.

Anyhow, the device is supposedly able to connect via USB tether to computer, but I can't get my iMac to talk to it. Only option I see is connecting via wifi (which does work), however the range is limited and all my devices wouldn't be on the Apple ecosystem network so I can stream, use iphone remotes, or apple tv functions cohesively.

Is there any way to connect my iMac to my time capsule or express, via the ethernet cable/outlet, to share the internet connection that way, and use the express or time capsule to extend that internet connection out?

I've tried looking this up and tried it myself and keep getting snags. Please HELP!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:05 AM

4 replies

Feb 20, 2014 7:41 AM in response to SWFLMac

To avoid having to use a complicated and somewhat goofy workaround.....that may or may not work.....the ATT MiFi device needs to have an Ethernet port to feed the signal to the Time Capsule, which will "create a wireless" network. If necessary, the AirPort Express can then "extend" that wireless network if you need more signal coverage.

Does the MiFi have an Ethernet port?

Feb 20, 2014 9:59 AM in response to SWFLMac

A USB to Ethernet adapter will not work since you are in effect, providing a USB signal to the Ethernet port on the Time Capsule, which it will not recognize.

In theory.....it might be possible to configure the AirPort Express to "join" the MiFi wireless network. When/if it does, the Ethernet port on the Express is enabled, so you could connect an Ethernet cable from the Expess to the Time Capsule and use it as a router.

The Time Capsule would be configured to "create a wireless network" for all of your devices. The LAN Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule will also be enabled if you need to connect Ethernet devices

I don't have a MiFi device here to test, so I cannot say whether this type of setup will work for you.....but I do use two AirPort routers all the time when traveling with excellent results.

When the hotel provides only a wireless connection, I configure an AirPort Express to "join" the hotel network then connect a second Apple AirPort router using an Ethernet cable to create my own private wireless network in the room for multiple devices. This works very well....as long as the hotel provides a strong wireless signal.

It might be wise to wait for another answer from another user who is using a MiFi device to see if they have tried something like this and if so, whether it was successful or not.

There are also other similar devices to the MiFi which do provide one or more Ethernet ports. Something like this, for example:

CradlePoint MBR95 Wireless 3G/4G Router | CradlePoint

How to connect AT&T Unite mifi device to my Time Capsule to extend my internet connection to all my devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.