Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the “Use audio port for” menu?

The Help Center says: "If your Mac has separate ports for input and output, the sound input port has a microphone icon. If your Mac has only one sound port, it has a headphones icon but can be used both input and output."

as well as: "If your Mac has only one sound port, the “Use audio port for” menu is available. Choose Sound Input if you’re using an external microphone."

I tried connecting an external microphone to the sound port that can be used both for input and output, but I could not find the “Use audio port for” menu in the Input pane of Sound preferences and therefore was unable to use the external microphone for sound input. Is there anything I might have missed?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:04 AM

3 replies

Feb 20, 2014 7:09 AM in response to BansM

That is for older 13" Mac notebooks. On the newer models, both 13" standard and all Retina screen models, there is only one Audio port and that is only Output. Apple dropped the ability to have that one port do both input and output.

The only recent model that still has 2 audio ports, in and out, is the 2012 15" Standard model which has since been discontinued.

Where is the “Use audio port for” menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.