Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partial failures due to overheating - Gen 4 3Tb TC - They still haven't fixed this design flaw?? Annoyed Customer.com...

I'm not sure if this is the same issue that many, many others seem to be having - but the last couple of months my time capsule randomly fails. It is a complete failure where the green light goes off entirely - I can still hear the disk spinning, but no part of the networking or storage is functional. Disconnecting the power and leaving it out for 30minutes to an hour seems to resolve the issue.

It has happened the last couple of months, and only today have i finally got around to reporting it to Apple. The unit is now 13months old it turns out, and as it is just out of warranty Apple have told me either I have to pay to get it fixed (£35 for diagnosis, and whatever it costs to replace it) - or other option was to take out Applecare cover on my most recent Mac and then the TC would be covered.

I have (begrudgingly) taken the second option and now can get free Genius bar support - but I find this pretty annoying really. I have spent many thousands with Apple over the years, and it would appear from these forums that a large number of these time capsules have been failing. The fact that I needed to pay after 13months of intermittent usage is pretty shocking. I have barely even used the disk function on the TC, backing up once or twice a month to the tune of a few gigabytes (the disk is in sleep mode otherwise). It is stored in a position on top of a cupboard with no obstructions and good airflow. I find it absurd that some people think it normal to have to make wooden fan boxes and suchlike for these things?! No offense to those that have done this, but the cooling is clearly a design fault that has never been addressed.

There are other Apple products with ongoing design flaws - such as the Match service, and the antenna design on the iPhone (which is still affected when you hold it in a certain way, and provides bad reception compared to some competition). It seems that visual design and featuresets/selling points are rated above overall reliability and longevity with Apple products - This is for another discussion however.

In the same conversation with apple support today (who were very helpful and polite) I was told I could always go back to Amazon (From whom I bought it) and file a consumer rights claim with them. I did not fancy my chances with this option, as Amazon box-shift, and surely they would just go back to Apple?

So, my story is really that I have paid because I was told I had to - but I would seriously think twice before purchasing another Apple product in the future just for this type of issue. It is not the first device I have had problems with previously, although I will say that my older iPhone 4 was replaced twice without quibble (due to internal hardware issues), when there was no insurance or Applecare...

The Time Capsule is meant to be a set-and-forget type of device. Whilst you should of course archive it from time to time, I now won't have any faith in trusting the device with my data... It took down my home AV network at the same time meaning no internet, and no remote control for TV's/Amps (as I was using its built-in wireless as it struck me as a great all-in-one quality device). For £370 I would expect better, I could have gone with Western Digital for half the price, but chose the Apple brand as I trusted it...

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), Other OS, Time Capsule Design Flaw?

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 11:26 AM

There should be a statutory warranty in the UK for products like the TC.. ie even if the company offers only 1year it is implied to be a device that really should last longer than 12months. People have certainly managed to get apple to fix it (ie replace) when they were prepared to push legal requirements.. but Apple have tended to offer just what is allowed unless pushed!!

Buying AppleCare for your computer is no bad thing.. but you could have purchased an Apple TV.. with applecare and that would also cover the TC.. sell the ATV without even opening it on ebay.. for basically what you purchased it for. That is one of those little loopholes. The TC is not covered by ipad applecare but it is on the ATV.. UK people discovered this one.

I have been repairing TC since Gen1 and the fault in Gen4 is unique. It is not heat. Apple did pretty well overcoming that.. although it is still far too hot for long term use .. that would not kill it in such a short time. The fault is fairly rare. Overall the reliability of the TC is very good since Gen3 (meaning up to 3years as per all domestic equipment now). Earlier ones were not so lucky. And they have solved at least the overheat in the new AC models with a radical redesign of the cooling. There are other issues though.

Push Apple to replace it.. they do not repair.. it is swapped out for a refurbished which should be ok.

I am still waiting for the fault to happen in any Gen4 I can get my hands on.. so far I have had one come in for repair / investigation of the fault. I found nothing wrong.. and when I reassembled it, it worked and has continued to work ever since for several months now. So good in one way and sad in another.. as I have no more idea of the fault than I had in the first place. Gen3 had a clear fault in the capacitors.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/new-issue-with-a1355-gen-3-tc

The boards should be identical .. (Gen1&2 and Gen3&4 just changed wireless cards while keeping identical boards). Whoever supplied the dud caps was "fixed". But the fault in the Gen4 is clearly different. That is all I know at this stage. If I could get my hands on a couple more broken down ones.. (Or Chris in the UK).. we could likely figure out the cause.. albeit a solution might still not be viable.

Here is my best guess.. it is a soldering fault. Ever since lead free solder Apple have had several problems with bad soldering. A component loses reliable contact with the board. People have very inventive ways of reflowing the solder on the board, even reballing the board to refit the processor etc.

I think my fix, merely put more pressure on a component that was having poor contact with the board. I have seen it before.. it would account for the unreliable operation in your case but for many it happens and the TC is dead thereafter.. but the hard disk is spinning all the time. It suggests the fault is in the main processor.. which has the tendency for poor connection on the ball type processor soldering. Anyway until I get more in to see and test that is my working hypothesis.

Production faults like this are part and parcel of electronics and have to be accepted that a small percentage of product will break down in operation.. (lead free solder is good for environment but lousy for building electronics). What is not acceptable is Apple not instantly replacing them with apology.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 11:26 AM in response to mc271283

There should be a statutory warranty in the UK for products like the TC.. ie even if the company offers only 1year it is implied to be a device that really should last longer than 12months. People have certainly managed to get apple to fix it (ie replace) when they were prepared to push legal requirements.. but Apple have tended to offer just what is allowed unless pushed!!

Buying AppleCare for your computer is no bad thing.. but you could have purchased an Apple TV.. with applecare and that would also cover the TC.. sell the ATV without even opening it on ebay.. for basically what you purchased it for. That is one of those little loopholes. The TC is not covered by ipad applecare but it is on the ATV.. UK people discovered this one.

I have been repairing TC since Gen1 and the fault in Gen4 is unique. It is not heat. Apple did pretty well overcoming that.. although it is still far too hot for long term use .. that would not kill it in such a short time. The fault is fairly rare. Overall the reliability of the TC is very good since Gen3 (meaning up to 3years as per all domestic equipment now). Earlier ones were not so lucky. And they have solved at least the overheat in the new AC models with a radical redesign of the cooling. There are other issues though.

Push Apple to replace it.. they do not repair.. it is swapped out for a refurbished which should be ok.

I am still waiting for the fault to happen in any Gen4 I can get my hands on.. so far I have had one come in for repair / investigation of the fault. I found nothing wrong.. and when I reassembled it, it worked and has continued to work ever since for several months now. So good in one way and sad in another.. as I have no more idea of the fault than I had in the first place. Gen3 had a clear fault in the capacitors.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/new-issue-with-a1355-gen-3-tc

The boards should be identical .. (Gen1&2 and Gen3&4 just changed wireless cards while keeping identical boards). Whoever supplied the dud caps was "fixed". But the fault in the Gen4 is clearly different. That is all I know at this stage. If I could get my hands on a couple more broken down ones.. (Or Chris in the UK).. we could likely figure out the cause.. albeit a solution might still not be viable.

Here is my best guess.. it is a soldering fault. Ever since lead free solder Apple have had several problems with bad soldering. A component loses reliable contact with the board. People have very inventive ways of reflowing the solder on the board, even reballing the board to refit the processor etc.

I think my fix, merely put more pressure on a component that was having poor contact with the board. I have seen it before.. it would account for the unreliable operation in your case but for many it happens and the TC is dead thereafter.. but the hard disk is spinning all the time. It suggests the fault is in the main processor.. which has the tendency for poor connection on the ball type processor soldering. Anyway until I get more in to see and test that is my working hypothesis.

Production faults like this are part and parcel of electronics and have to be accepted that a small percentage of product will break down in operation.. (lead free solder is good for environment but lousy for building electronics). What is not acceptable is Apple not instantly replacing them with apology.

Feb 21, 2014 4:11 AM in response to LaPastenague

Interesting, thanks very much for the input, very useful. So it sounds like there is probably a different problem than I had first thought. It seems though that if an items fails in this way - as you say, the manufacturer should be keen to replace it given the short time of ownership.

I am hoping this will happen now that I have Applecare - but it shouldn't be costing me every year that I own such a device. Agreed though, a certain amount of electronics equipment is bound to fail, as so many thousands (or millions) of devices leave the factory.

Feb 28, 2014 11:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

The TC that I fixed by pulling apart has gone faulty again.. this time it doesn't seem to be coming good. So it lasted about 6months with no trouble then just died.

The power consumption on the board is around 5.3W.. the processor is getting hot.. but the ethernet chip is cold.. so it seems to be in that area.. there is no 5v to the USB.. all the power supplies are putting out their standard voltage and I cannot see any issues.

Don't have time to continue the search for errors now but I will try soldering in the serial port and see if the bootloader gives an error message.

Dec 7, 2014 3:20 AM in response to mc271283

My 500GB Timecapsule fan is running continuously and is flashing orange indicator light. Airport utility has alert message that "this device may be overheating". However the unit is not at all hot (barely above ambient room temperature to touch).

Timecapsule was not showing on network but did hard reset and was able to mount. Updated firmware to latest version.

Time Machine back up is running but fan and orange indicator persist.

Is the unit really overheating?

How can I get fan to stop?

Dec 7, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Wilshy

A 500GB is really old.. Gen1 or early Gen2.

The power supply might be overheating even if the rest feels ok.

It can be repaired but is it worth it??

See the instructions here to fix the caps in the power supply. Or one of the other repair methods.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair

Mar 13, 2015 4:10 PM in response to mc271283

Recently experienced the same issue with my Time Capsule 4th generation A1409 (with Delta PSU). Read the http://fackrell.me.uk/ website for help - most usefully until I released I had the Delta power unit in my Time Capsule and I could also still hear the hard disk spinning.

Performed the "bake logic board" trick and success - 7.5 minutes later at 190 degrees C. the Time Capsule now works again.

Check the following for detail demonstration of logic board baking -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztzv2OlQJuU

http://russell.heistuman.com/2010/04/27/cooking-the-books-or-baking-my-macbook-p ro-logic-board/User uploaded file

Photo of my Time capsule logic board prior to baking.

Aug 19, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Andrew£$

This totally worked for me !!!! Thanks dude you saved me. My 4th Gen Time Capsule 2TB has been going unresponsive once every 2 months or so (HDD spinning, but the LED in the front or the network ports don't turn on). I would disconnect the power supply for a few hours, plug it back in and it would work. Last night there was a power outage because of a storm and once power was restored the TC wouldn't turn back on, so I disconnect the power as usual from it and let it rest overnight and it didn't work in the morning when I plugged it back in.

I followed the instructions in this post and stripped my 4the Gen Time capsule down to the motherboard, put it on a baking tray on foil balls, baked it at 375F for 7.5 minutes, then it let it cool for about 15 minutes. Reassembled the TC and it just worked !!!!! As soon it was visible on my network, I backed up all the files on it to an external drive.

Thank you !!!! 🙂

Photo of the TC mother board before baking it

User uploaded file

Dec 5, 2015 6:13 AM in response to mc271283

And another success for the Time Capsule pie 🙂

Had similar symptoms: TC stopped working with LED off and disk still spinning.

Managed to revive it twice by just letting the TC rest for a couple of days/weeks. But third time no matter how long I left it unpowered it would not start again. Thanks to this thread and LaPastenague site, managed to bake my TC back to life. Now let's see how long it will last.

Partial failures due to overheating - Gen 4 3Tb TC - They still haven't fixed this design flaw?? Annoyed Customer.com...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.