Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail problems with Mavericks

Using OS 10.9.1. Mail keeps many sent emails in the drafts folder and others in the inbox. How can I fix this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 8:18 AM

13 replies

Feb 25, 2014 1:02 PM in response to tomfromjersey city

Sorry I cant help Tom, I've posted a question in here about my mail rules, siggys, and VIP list vanishing after making changes to my iCloud accounts, and syncing...

NO REPLIES for me either! Very odd.

Is this email account an IMAP account? If it is, it may be a problem with how Mail is syncing (or NOT syncing) with the IMAP server. I've got an issue with Gmail IMAP from time to time, where I get dozens of "Draft" emails in my trash can when ever I write an email with that IMAP Gmail account...

Mar 5, 2014 7:21 AM in response to tomfromjersey city

In addition to saving a large number of sent emails in the Drafts folder, Mail is also saving multiple versions of sent emails in the Sent folder.

There can be 10 or more versions of an email there - it seems to be saving the drafts from time to time and then holding them in the Sent folder. I think these clear up when I shut down at the end of the day. It is a big pain to have to scroll through many versions of old emails in order to find the one version that was actually sent.

Mar 5, 2014 7:42 AM in response to tomfromjersey city

Hi Tom,

I've seen this little bug for a while too — all sorts of draft emails end-up in my trash — until I empty the trash...

These type of issues (still gathering evidence of this) seem to revolve around how Mail synchronizes (or doesn't as the case may be) with the IMAP server.

You never stated whether yours is a Gmail IMAP or not. In my experiences there are bugs/odd behaviors specific to Gmail. I have two Gmail accounts. One was indeed causing a badge/unread email count inacuracy. When I adjusted the settings to this particular acount ON GMAIL's side of life — to match the settings of the gmail IMAP which is working just fine, the badge bug cleared-up! Yeah team!

Rather than try to type all of the settings, a screen shot of the settings screen (from within Gmail) would be far more efficient. But I won't take the time to make/post the screen shots if you're not on Gmail — that would be of little help to you.

So, let me know if it's an IMAP Gmail account oor not.

— MP

Mar 5, 2014 4:36 PM in response to webdrum007

OK Jersey Tom,

Here are a few screen shots (with my account info blurred) — I believe, if you set your settings to match these, some of this mail misbehavior will stop.

IN APPLE MAIL

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

IN GMAIL, from your browser

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

These settings work for me. Now I just need to find out what's causing the drafts to litter my Archive Bin and/or Deleted Messages box — then my Mail will be 100%

Good luck, let me know what happens.
— WD007

Mail problems with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.