Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app on MacBook will receive but not send

I have an iPhone 5, an iPad 2, & a 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I have sent and recieved iMessages from all of these devices without trouble until recently. For the past few days my Messages app on the MacBook updates with my iPad and iPhone, so that I can see all the messages I have sent and recieved on my other devices, but if I try and respond to a message from my MacBook Messages gives me the error, "Your Message Could Not be Sent: XXX-XXX-XXXX is not registered with iMessage." This error shows up for every single person I try to send an iMessage to with the MacBook.

The problem has to be on my end because I am recieving iMessages just fine on all 3 devices and I'm sending messages just fine on the iPhone and iPad, so my friends numbers ARE registered with iMessage.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 1:58 PM

Hi,

Check you Contacts app is syncing via the method you have chosen.

Also make sure in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts that two items are active.

Check the My Card (Card Menu) is your details.

User uploaded file

9:58 pm Thursday; February 20, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 1:58 PM in response to goodlymammon

Hi,

Check you Contacts app is syncing via the method you have chosen.

Also make sure in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts that two items are active.

Check the My Card (Card Menu) is your details.

User uploaded file

9:58 pm Thursday; February 20, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 8, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I am having the same issue, but nothing seems to be wrong with my contact apps (or so I can tell). I have always been able to receive and send messages, but now I cannot. I am not receiving any messages on my macbook, iPad, or iMac. When I go to send it says that the user I am trying to send to is not registered with iMessage, but I know that they are. I have no idea what to do!

Sep 8, 2014 11:49 AM in response to ashtonbowns

Hi,

When we were dealing with the preceding app (iChat) in earlier versions of the OS it would not launch properly if the Address Card that referred to your details (The My Card) was not linked or set up correctly.

Open Contacts app and use the Card Menu to select the My Card and check it is your Details.

As was stated above in the Green Bordered answer sometimes the Sync for the Contacts app.

This refers to the method you are using to keep the Contacts app on iPhones, iPads and Macs the same as far as the details for all Cards goes.

For this you will need to open the Contacts App and look at the Preferences > Accounts settings.

It may also pay to go to System Preferences > iCloud (if you are using this method) and untick the Contacts app for Sync for a few minutes then re-apply the tick.

After that it may be that the app on the Mac is only managing a partial Login to the server.
Try Quitting the app and then Restarting the computer.

If that does not work use the Sign Out button in the iMessages account pane before repeating the Quit the app and restart the computer process.

Basically the first steps are to do the minor resets mentioned above.

EDIT:-

I see Eric has posted whist I was typing my response.

User uploaded file

7:48 pm Monday; September 8, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages app on MacBook will receive but not send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.