Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture not creating new version of raw image when editing in external editor

I have my export settings set up in Aperture 3.5.1 as editing int Photoshope Elements 12 as Tiff files. When I right click on a raw photo in aperture and say to edit in PSE, it will open it in the program, but only in camera raw.

This happens even when I have made edits to that particular file, such as exposure. This is causing problems with saving back to aperture. I have troubleshot this with Elements and the problem seems to be that Aperture is not creating a new version on export.

Can you tell me what I need to do?

Thanks so much for any insight.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 9:57 AM

18 replies

Feb 20, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

If I right click on the photo it brings up a list of options and the 1st one is the edit in Photoshop elements 12, however, even if I go to photo, edit in phtoshop elements editor, it has the same effect. same with shift + command+o. If I drag the photo down into PSE on the task bar it opens as a jpeg, but if I do that it won't allow me to save it back into aperture.

I had it working in PSE 11, and maybe in 12 in the beginning, I don't remember. Do you think my program has become corrupted?

Feb 20, 2014 6:11 PM in response to RTurner5

What you have described is not how it is meant to work so it sounds like there is an issue on your system.

Try running the first two first aid procedures (repair permissions and repair database) as described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

I think this should fix the issue, but let us know if it doesn't.

PS: When you drag the image from Aperture to PSE on the task bar, you are sending the JPEG preview to PSE, so that's an unrelated process.

Andy

Feb 21, 2014 12:57 PM in response to RTurner5

What RAW file are you using?

The normal behavior is as you expect generate a tiff (or PSD) from the version you are clicking on(with the modifications you may have added such as sharpening, definition, etc.) Perhaps if you have no edits whatsoever in aperture then it might go over as a raw, but that doesn't seem right. It should go over as the tiff and then come back as a tiff (it works best if you flatten the image before saving in photoshop. Also do a save rather than save as.

Perhaps if you have a marginally supported raw file thate behavior you are experienceing will happen, - but it seems if you see the image in aperture it should be able to process it in aperture.

Feb 21, 2014 2:45 PM in response to waldhaus1

I think that it has to be in Aperture, because if it is a jpeg it creates a version and then opens it in PSE as a tiff. so tiff files open. The problem seems to be that it doesn't create a tiff version of a raw file before exporting.

If I go ahead and open the file from the camera raw once it is in PSE, then it will not let me save it back to aperture but only gives the option to save as. However, it works fine on my jpeg->tiff files.

Feb 21, 2014 3:02 PM in response to RTurner5

I am at a loss. I just looked at the camera raw preferences for photoshop and it does have a separate setting for both tiff and jpeg files. On the other had on my mac it is set up as open with settings for both, yet the camera raw images are converted to tiff by aperture and go to photoshop without stopping in camera raw. Somehow PSE and Aperture aren't communicating in the expected way. I am not sure if Apple's phone support would help you. As a work around you could export to a tiff, then open that in PSE and import that file into aperture. That would be a nuissance, but keep your library in order.

Feb 21, 2014 3:20 PM in response to RTurner5

I don't think you can do that in one step. You can export the file, and then import it into aperture into the same project. As long as the project is being sorted by date it should end up next to the version for the raw file. You could then stack them together for convenience. If you use a managed library then you could export to desktop. When it is imported it would go into the vault I believe. If use use a referenced library you should export to the location where you would like to keep the tiffs for that project. (I do mine by date and for the tiffs have a folder with the date followed by processed.)

Once the tiff is in aperture then you should be able to have it edited by PSE and have the changes come back to aperture. Sometimes when you go back to aperture you need to move off the image and back on to it to see the effect of the edits.

It would be interesting to try that just to see what happened requesting an edit of a tiff file from your copy of aperture. (One caveat is that when aperture creates a tiff file the extension is tiff. If photoshop does it (as it would with the save as command) then the extension is tif (only one f.) While either a 2 f or one f tiff can be imported into aperture, saving a 2 f file as a one f file creates a new file which won't show up in aperture without importing it.

Those are the kind of things which Apple will hopefully address at some point as they can be confusing.

Aperture not creating new version of raw image when editing in external editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.