Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up iPhoto from a external hard drive to a 2nd...

I currently run my iphoto library from a external hard drive since it is so big. So I purchased a 2nd HD to back up my current one but when I set up Time Machine it wouldn't back up my external. Is there a way to set up TM to backup my computer and EHD to my 2nd EHD???? Or a diffrent app that can help? Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 10:26 AM

9 replies

Feb 20, 2014 4:21 PM in response to jcordoba

Click on the " little lock" in the TM preferences and enter your password to unlock the preferences and allow changes?

or

More info on TM can be found here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US - and here - http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

And for detailed TM support post in the forum for yoru OS - it is not an iPhoto issue

LN

Feb 22, 2014 12:13 PM in response to jcordoba

LarryHN helped me find the following

User uploaded file

The last sentence in #3 explains why I cant select it. I do use my current HD with my iPhoto Library to back up my Macbook Air. I was trying to back up my first HD with the second HD but mostly to back up the pics from the first. Does anybody know a way around this or a way I can correct this even if I have to start over??

Feb 22, 2014 2:24 PM in response to jcordoba

I'm not sure what your question is - If you want to use TM to backup things that are on the TM backup volume that is not possible

going back to yoru original post

I currently run my iphoto library from a external hard drive since it is so big. So I purchased a 2nd HD to back up my current one but when I set up Time Machine it wouldn't back up my external. Is there a way to set up TM to backup my computer and EHD to my 2nd EHD???? Or a diffrent app that can help? Thanks

What I though you wanted was to have a new EHD for hyoru TM backup and use TM to backup your main HD and your EHD to this new EHD - to do that all you have to do is remove the current EHD from the excluded list

If I have this wrong try explaining again -

LN

Backing up iPhoto from a external hard drive to a 2nd...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.